Feeds

back to article Diminutive robot to attempt Iron Man Triathalon

A 20-inch robot powered by just three rechargeable batteries will take on the gruelling Iron Man triathlon course. Because it can. The robot – consisting of a small green and white body and a modest battery-pack will have to swim, run and bike for 230km (143miles). Mr Evolta comes with three interchangeable body parts, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Terminator

Yes but ....

Can it make a cup of tea and change grannie's nappy?

Anonymous Coward

Interesting.

It will take 14 times longer than my wife, but I suspect it is a lot cheaper to run. :-)

Happy

Re: Interesting

No wonder you posted as an AC with a comment like that about your wife.

But there again, if you didn't, she may have been tried for Assault and Battery.

Anonymous Coward

Obvious

She represents GB - and is massively fitter than I am. Do you think I am daft?

Bronze badge

Erm...

"Of course there's not much practical benefit to a robot capable of completing triathlons. Same way as it's not a very practical skill for humans. Get in a car why don't you?"

I don't have an amphibious car...

FAIL

"get in a car why dont you"

Because THAT will help you in the ocean.....

Get in a Car

It's the cycling stage I'd be most interested to see a car do.

Terminator

But WHY?!?

Now we'll never be able to get away from them. Not even on floating sea-cities like in Waterworld!

May I be the first to welcome out all-running, all-swimming, all-cycling overlords that just keep going and going and goind and...

Silver badge

Duracell

Are they going to do a test that is far more practical and has an immediate application?

If Duracell use mechanical bunnies to demonstrate longer-life batteries why not a slight twist and put them in a rabbit - not Flopsy but the 'personal massager' type.

Stop

I wish...

Battery manufacturers should be made to publish the capacity of their batteries, just like rechargeable batteries do.

I think a lot more people would use rechargeable batteries if they realised how much higher capacity they are.

Publishing capacities

Battery manufacturers should only be made to publish capacities on non-rechargeables if they also publish self-discharge rates at room temperature for rechargeables.

Standard NiMH rechargeables lose betwee 0.5% and 1% of their charge each day. They are great for frequent use items, but otherwise....

(For comparison, standard non-rechargeables lose around 1% in 6 months, and Eneloop-style rechargeables lose around 1% in four weeks.)

Silver badge
Stop

hmm

dont forget temperature too. Dont expect your nimh batteries to have much juice in them if you have them in your glove box on a winter morning.

"Because THAT will help you in the ocean....."

Didn't stop James Bond

mAH

I've just trawled through the many pages of ther web site that they have filled with blurb about how wonderful this new battery is. There is not a single mention of it's mAH capacity. How are we supposed to know if it's any better than their previous batteries or their competitors?

Bronze badge

No real comparison to their own batteries, either

The battery doesn't even have a comparison to their own Oxy-Alkaline battery, and it seems that in some cases the Oxy-Alkaline product may last longer.

The real question is, are these going to be used for submersibles? There's the Seahorse, with 9,216 D-cell batteries. Are they going to switch to the new tech, eh?

This topic is closed for new posts.