Feeds

back to article Online gamers strike major blow in battle against AIDS

A bunch of gamers have untangled the structure of a key protein in the virus that causes AIDS, a mystery that has left scientists stumped for decades. It took just three weeks for players of online game Foldit to predict an accurate model for the protein – a type of enzyme called a retroviral protease that has a critical role in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Up with this kind of thing!

See title.

Silver badge
Joke

Wait a minute...

...I'm not sure I understand. This article didn't mention twitter being involved in a socially beneficial event, and I know that's not possible. And what are these gamers? There isn't even a hashtag. You need to make your articles more understandable.

Go

This needs to be on Steam right now.

Thumb Up

/title

An article that doesnt paint gamers as being do'ers of evil, and mass murderers in hiding....about bloody time.

nice job on the foldit team to actually create a piece of "entertainment" that harnesses the collective power of gamers worlwide for the good of mankind.

Its a small step, but enough to start the gamer naysayers to re-consider their thoughts that its a "waste of time"

Gamers 1 - 1 Society

Silver badge
Trollface

The only thing worse than being a mass murderer...

...is helping to cure AIDS - God's way of destroying prostitutes, homosexuals and drug addicts.

Gamers are truly despicable.

Why downvote a troll, with an obvious troll icon?

What's worrying is that there are actually people that really, genuinely think like that...

Bronze badge

Why downvote a troll?

Because it wasn't clever or amusing in any way. If you're going to troll, at least be interesting.

Anonymous Coward

Wow

This is a perfect example of why technology is awesome.

Silver badge

Almost

This is a perfect example of why gamers are awesome.

Silver badge
Pint

Cheers to them

Now there is a game worth playing! Excellent manners to give the gamers full credit.

I propose a new game - "hunt the Higgs"

Bit like a multiplayer version of Where's Wally (that's "Waldo" for our American chums).

Also, Paris because she's a PROtease, geddit?! Not sure if she's retroviral, however...

The El Reg Effect

The El Reg effect has struck again - fold.it website down.

Silver badge

And to think, my mother tried to tell me growing up that video games were a waste of time. Kudos to the completely awesome brains behind and in Foldit. I'll be looking that game up now.

No mom....

..I'm not playing brain melting, time wasting games in my room! I'm busy saving the world!

Win

Anonymous Coward

I'll just leave this here....

http://wowaids.ytmnd.com/

If I cure AIDS playing online games...

...then I'd better get a hell of a lot of XP for that.

You automatically unlock the Boffin Pro perk, and Labcoat cammo.

Hot & Cold Fusion

How about a game to discover ways to build an affordable, workable nuclear fusion plant, within the next 5 years?

Impressive.

Silver badge

And one other thing...

I wonder: Did the guy who finally solved the last piece of the puzzle get a message saying, "A WINNER IS YOU"?

Silver badge

Next, we need one to....

....help make motorway food edible.

Yay for science!

Silver badge

Games are good...

...after all most of us now know how to kill a mutant zombie hoard or an invading alien species, this is just another one to add to the list.

ALL YOUR BASE-PAIR ARE BELONG TO US

Nice to hear some pro-gamer stories.

It's based on code from rosetta as used in rosetta@home which can always use more cpus: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/

;)

Gold badge

Has to be said

"Nice move, gamer."

Awesome article

All I can say is... Cooooool!

So Bobby how was your day ??

We busted a protein & killed an enzyme and we saw Paris and went for a ProTease!

What!!

Anonymous Coward

Good thing...

I got non-lubricated condoms, no one likes sticky balloons.

This topic is closed for new posts.