Buckinghamshire County Council has invited tenders for a wide range of managed ICT services which will be underpinned by the Public Services Network (PSN). The four-year framework deal is worth between £20m and £100m and has been published by Buckinghamshire on behalf of itself and local authorities in adjacent counties and …
Bucks council is so fucking stupid any improvement will be welcome
Welcome to one of the more prosperous counties in the UK where IT is a shambles, so we look forward to it going downwards quickly. A few points as a taxpayer in south Bucks your readers may enjoy:
1) The Planning Permissions website has had a broken search tool for 6 months. Loads of emails to the Bucks support team "we're really sorry we'll get some.one to investigate"
2) The Bucks SSL certificates expired LAST YEAR and you cannot trust their websites.
3) Filing objections, or forms-based questions to the council frequently causes SQL errors and your 10-15 minutes of time is wasted
4) Email to some departments goes to the wrong departments. How -- who the fuck knows!
5) Despite Uk.Gov mandates, some parts of the councillors are NOT on email -- "send me a letter / FAX" instead.
Bucks council and IT are mutually exclusive, they're clueless fucks so spending between £20 -> £100M whilst they cannot fix our roads, are turning off services and street lights is a great headline.
I am surprise however the Bucks Free Press hasn't picked this story up -- they're great at idiot news but thanks El Reg for finding this outrageous waste of our council tax!
The range seems a bit wide £20m-£100m are they not sure of what they want or how much it costs, or what it's worth?
... they need room for dodgy deals and backhanders, why do you think Bucks CC has the worst roads in history.
Point of order
Buckinghamshire County includes Wycombe, Aylesbury Vale, South Bucks and Chilterns district councils (Milton Keynes is a unitary authority) - they are not 'neighbouring' councils. As with many county councils, it is a provider of some central services (such as payroll) to some or all of these districts.
None of these councils, from my experience, have the IT capability (much of it already outsourced) to run a whelk stall. I ask again: if you can't manage your own IT properly, what on earth makes you think you can manage an independent provider (whether in the 'cloud' or elsewhere).
The county that time forgot
They have computers in Bucks? I am staggered.
- 'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux
- Infosec geniuses hack a Canon PRINTER and install DOOM
- Game Theory Half a BILLION in the making: Bungie's Destiny reviewed
- Review A SCORCHIO fatboy SSD: Samsung SSD850 PRO 3D V-NAND
- Was Earth once covered in HELLFIRE? No – more like a wet Sunday night in Iceland