back to article Twitter contests ad company's 'tweets' trademark

Twitter said that a trademark belonging to Twittad "threatens to block" it from registering "tweet" as its own "legitimate" mark, according to the company's legal submission to a district court in San Francisco. Twittad owns the trademark "Let Your Ad Meet Tweets". It is a company that "offers online advertising services …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To paraphrase a cartoon in Private Eye

Twitter, Tweet, Twitterer, Twat

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Thomas 18
    Devil

Nothing left to do

It probably took about 12 hours to program the entire of twitter. Add in a couple of months of setting up the hardware to support the crazy demand and you've got yourself a lot of spare time on employee hands - time to diversify into the trolling industry.

3. sheep++;
    Meh

Twits...? Twats

Ironically, I couldn't be bothered to write anything else to fit in a small sentence.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

someone said ...

too many tweets make a twat.

Too many twats involved in the US patent/trademark system

5. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Coat

Can't they both lose?

See title, but also...

This company *chose* to call itself "Twit Ad"?

And it's line of business is "making stuff look appealing"?

Sheesh! One of us is in the wrong universe. It's probably me again. I'll get my coat.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it is only

supreme self-restraint that is stopping me using the C-word about everyone involved .

1. Steve Renouf
      Paris Hilton

wotsinatitle

Is that vanilla C or C++ ? Or perhaps FC? I understand your sentiment sir!

...The Paris connection? Dunno. Just talking about twittering twats made me think of her...!?!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter is still waiting for a trademark registration for 'tweet' whilst a company built on the back of Twitter has already got theirs approved?

Now either Twitter is hopelessly amateur and didn't think to register tweet until relatively recently, or they employ some slack IP lawyers who haven't been progressing their claim very quickly.

I suppose if we work hard at it, we can genericise 'tweet' and stop Twitter getting their hands on it ever. So time to start replacing 'talk', 'phone', 'message' and 'email' with 'tweet'.

1. TenDollarMan

Tweet is already registered

Tweet seems to already be registered in the UK:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ohim?ohimnum=E9690421

8. nsld
    Facepalm

isnt tweet descriptive and also in common use?

Which must make it harder to trademark?

After all, whats to stop someone starting "farter" and each message is a "fart"

Would probably be more appropriate given the stuff you see on twitter.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      WTF?

'.....whats to stop someone starting "farter" and each message is a "fart" '

An IP lawsuit from Twitter claiming that your farts are basically a direct copy of the guff on their site?

9. Nigel Brown
    Joke

Twitter...

is the bit between the twat and the $h1tter.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everybody's heard about the bird

Bird is the word!

11. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Nobody, but nobody should be allowed to register as a trademark any word that appears in the dictionary. End.

1. thenim

yes - it would be, except it's the merkins we're talking about here... common sense has left that land a long time ago...

12. Mike Moyle
    Facepalm

@ thenim

I assume that you mean stupid "merkin" trademarks like "Jaguar", "Times", "Lotus", Hawker", "Acorn", etc.?

...Oh, wait...

(Mr. Pot...? There's a Mr. Kettle on line 2 for you!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like