back to article Intel pitches netbook-cum-tablet 'hybrids'

Can't decide whether you want a tablet or a netbook? Have both, says Intel. The chip giant today pitched the notion of a hybrid device, skinnier than a netbook but thicker than a tablet by bringing the latter a built-in keyboard. It's not a new notion, of course. Dell launched the Inspiron Duo last year, and during 2011 the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Sitting above tablets

So a device that does the same as the transformer for more money because it has an Atom chip and better storage (maybe). Sound like if I wanted one of these (i.e. something more powerful) then I really want a netbook with an SSD that won't have my greasy paw-prints on the screen. If I don't want more powerful then the transformer or an iPad with keyboard in case probably cover my needs.

This just seems like a really poor attempt at an up-sell.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Give me strength...

The perfect example of a manufacturer bringing something to market where there is no demand. (And people wonder why we are in a recession right now?) Users like tabs because of their lightness and portability. The fact they can check email without squinting at a 2" screen. Start adding crap like keyboards, mice, and the rest and it will get left at home resting on top of the notebook.

Intel, stick with manufacturing your chips and let the folks who know the market build the devices everyone wants.

Anonymous Coward

Why stop there?

There's a market for tablets and a market for notebooks, so the logic is, "let's put it all in one box and everyone will like it!" Lets carry on with that logic... I like coffee while I'm using a tablet or notebook, so lets add a drinks tray. And the coffee might get cold - and people generally like microwaves - so let's add that too. If convergence is where it's add, let's just add the whole kitchen sink!!

Only problem is, this strategy doesn't take a single step forward from the MS tablet PCs of a decade ago. Are these people insane? Hybrids - by definition - are not particularly good at anything. They make compromises in order to support different modes of use. If you're more of a power user and need the flexibility of a netbook, why would you want the additional expense of a touch interface bolted on? And if you're after something light and easy to use, why would you want all the extra hassle of a keyboard and 'full Windows' lurking under the surface?

This new 'strategy' looks more like a headless chicken impression - let's throw all the buzz-words into the box and hope something good pops out.

Anonymous Coward

Ho hum

So Intel are going to invent the Asus Transformer series of netbook/tablets - some day soon.

Bronze badge

Yes

It's a Transformer but without the convenience of something that actually transforms.

Pint

Intel pitches netbook-cum-tablet 'hybrids'

Won't somebody please think of the children!!

A pint, because I thought I was already drunk!

Anonymous Coward

Not sure I follow

If it's like the ASUS Transformer - WIN?

If it's Yet Another Tablet (twist the screen) or a Duo clone... well, those things tend to be clunky and heavy. Which means - if history is any guide at least - that its market is limited.

Is there a third - new/hip/cool option anyone can think of?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums