Feeds

back to article Industry pitches piracy research ahead of Attorney General meeting

Sixty percent of Australians don’t use downloading or streaming sites, but that’s not the way the latest research into piracy activity in this country is being spun. The research that gave nearly two-thirds of us clean hands in the piracy debate – and seems to ignore the growth in legal streaming services like the ABC’s iView, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Lying liars and the lies they lie

Ah well. Way to incentivise further development of anonymous filesharing guys. You just keep on aiming that gun at your foot.

Anonymous Coward

I bet they count ALL Torrent traffic as illegal...

Despite the fact that most *nix distributions are most efficiently transferred by Torrent, and even a fair few mainstream apps are DL'd by Torrent.

Our main business apps are now ONLY distributed by Torrent (you pay extra for DVD) and that is a couple of gigs per release and update.

I wouldn't want to bet any more than 20c that the MPAA or their Austfailian speaking-trumpets are counting ALL Torrent traffic as 'illegal'.

Anonymous Coward

Of course all torrent traffic is illegal. I mean I once came across this obscure game called World of Warcraft that used torrents to distribute updates, but that could hardly be considered mainstream.

Anonymous Coward

As usual,

... don't let the truth get in the way of a good beat-up.

Methinks the plan is thus.

First the content mafia force ISP's to send out infringement notices. So, the legwork is done and the ISP's are paper shufflers. Next, the mafia put the case that ISP's arn't doing enough to stop this 'crime', after all, all of the data passes through their portals. So, ISP's should 'sniff' the packets and send out infringement notices in their own right.

Next, well that's easy, seeing as the ISP's are aware of who the infringers are, then they should take 'positive action' eg. begin stopping the services of infringers.

Net result, cost to content mafia: zero, effort from content mafia: zero. All costs, effort and bad publicity now borne by the bad, bad ISP's who were against the whole thing right from the start.

Devil

Road builders facilitating highway robbery but refuse to take responsibility

Tittle paraphrases the claim “Focus groups reveal ISPs seen to facilitate piracy but appear to show no responsibility”

Bronze badge
Pirate

Get your monies worth

If the ISP's have to foot the bill for all the hard work, then they have no choice to start passing that cost on to their customers.

May as well start being a pirate so you actually start getting the value for your money.

This topic is closed for new posts.