back to article Java on the Windows Azure Cloud

Many people are surprised to hear that running Java on Windows Azure is even possible, but there are already large Java-based financial services and scheduling applications running in production. Microsoft has committed to making Java a “first class citizen on Windows Azure”. In this article I explore the motivations behind Java …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

How does this compare to Google App Engine?

Google app engine is leaving preview state these days (and hikes its prices).

Would be nice to see how both services compare.

jan

Meh

Marketing?

This article reads like a marketing spiel directly from Microsoft.

Anonymous Coward

Sweeping statements

"Java applications can be difficult and expensive to host, needing dedicated servers and data centre resources."

Not sure what the point being made here is. It's perfectly possible to run many Java apps concurrently on the same virtual/physical server, like applications developed in any language, for pretty much any platform.

No thanks

Eclipse is one word to give me a heart attack. Avoid it at all costs.

Alert

Just a post to correct some information provided in the article, concerning the number of endpoints available for use in a role. Since September 1, the number of available endpoints has been “upgraded” from the 5 limit you referred to a 25 limit, has can be read on a post by Corey Sanders, on the Windows Azure Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/09/01/number-of-roles-allowed-in-windows-azure-deployments-increased-to-25.aspx).

Regarding the mention to Google App Engine being done previously, we could also reference some other offers from Amazon, Rackspace, Salesforce, VMware, etc… And everyone should really understand what each of them stands for, because usually someone throws a big company name/product into the game without even realizing what the solution really does and what the business is about. I’ve looked and tested a few of them, so no marketing involved in any of those references.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re:

Some dead time between when article was written and when posted.

Article updated.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums