back to article Firesheep addon updated to exploit Google info leak

Researchers have released a Firefox extension that demonstrates the risks of using Google search services on Wi-Fi hotspots and other unsecured networks: With just a few clicks, attackers can view large chunks of your intimate browsing history, including websites you've already visited. The proof-of-concept addon is an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

"while a user is logged into her account"

Just my opinion, but I find this kind of politically correct writing style to be mildly annoying. Yes, I know that ladies do use computers from time to time, but use of the word 'he' is perfectly acceptable to indicate a gender-inspecific pronoun and is commonly accepted as such. I'm sure that the typical man in the street would agree, whether he is actually a man or a woman.

Conversely, trying to pretend that 'she' is neutral, in the face of commonly accepted language, just makes the writer look a bit of a prat in my opinion.

I don't need 1984-style Newspeak to remind me that wimmin form an integral part of society.

Posted anonymously, because my particular gender is not important.

Anonymous Coward

'She' is also perfectly acceptable usage in my opinion. No need to introduce politics. It's just English as she is used.

The title is no longer required - frabjous day!

Do you need to be such a pain in the ass about it, though?

Silver badge

Confused

So on the one hand we have the researchers saying anyone on a public hotspot could be at risk.

On the other google is saying the risk is minimal.

Who is right?

If I was to sit near a busy public hotspot running firesheep would I see any users credentials?

Go

Only one way to find out!

To Starbucks, with my amazing Snoop-o-tronic Firesheeped Intruder-matic of Doom!

This is becoming more of an issue...

...In the past, I always forwarded my laptop traffic over SSH to prevent this. However since I got my tablet, that isn't possible (Although its a HP Touchpad so I could VPN it I suppose) but with the profusion of smartphones and tablets, more people are at risk from this.

Headmaster

@ACs

I prefer “they/their” to the thoughtless “he/his” and patronising “she/her”. Anyone complaining about the use of a singular “they” need look no further than the singular “you”.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums