back to article Panasonic DMW-LVF1 clip-on viewfinder

Yes, you can argue that compact cameras, especially premium ones, should have a viewfinder built in. But the fact is, they don't, and while manufacturers are so keen to pitch LCD sizes and resolutions, it seems unlikely that they will anytime soon. Heck, even many compact system cameras lack a viewfinder. Yet there are plenty …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jan 0 Silver badge

It's time for an upgrade, Panasonic.

I wouldn't have bought my GF1 without it!

However, it's not perfect.

The correction control needs a lock and the display resolution is poor, making manual focusing tricky.

An LVF2 is long overdue, let's just hope that it's compatible with the current GFs -1, -2 & -3

2. Zog The Undeniable

This is cheap

Look at the price of a single focal length Voigtlander hot-shoe viewfinder - it's almost the same. And that has no electronics; it's just a few lenses in a plastic box. Not even that great optically (well, it doesn't affect picture quality); my 21mm VF has a lot of barrel distortion.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not bad......

I've played with the Panasonic view finder and I also own a similar Olympus product......

It's a shame Panasonic didn't supply this viewfinder with the same resolution as the viewfiners built into their larger cameras. It's ok for framing a shot in difficult lighting though. At the moment, the best EVF is probably the Olympus VF-2 (much better than the optical VF's of low end DSLRs in reasonable light IMHO) but this is likely to be eclipsed by the new Sonys.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it make coffee? Cause there is no way a viewfinder costs more than half the price of a camera it's supposed to go along for (lx-5), so I smell a cheap way (sorry) to make some extra money off a punter. Not to mention, that it defies an idea of the lx-5, a (semi-) pocket, high-quality camera you can pull out fast, if need be. But not with a detachable, awkward viewfinder... Still a nice, if a bit bulky, camera.

5. Richard Jukes

More over priced crap for the Arty Farty brigade to drool over, buy and never really use. I've never had a problem framing shots on my TZ10.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like