Heave the 3kg HP dv7 from its enormous box and you can’t help but have your hopes raised: this is a notebook that gives the impression of high-end consumer tech promise. The brushed silver back has a refined air to it and Apple stylee, the HP logo lights up using the screen’s LED lamps. Appearances aside, there are tech treats …
Sounds very tempting ...
... for maybe £120 in HP's next fire sale?
'I'd buy that for a dollar....'
(Blatant Robocop reference of the day)
"reasonably good trade-off"?
At 17.3" there's no excuse not to be packing 1920x1080 . Hell, I'm waiting on delivery of a Thinkpad W520 which has that resolution in a 15.6" frame.
Your Thinkpad is at least £400 more expensive.
should at least have a 1080p screen on a 17" but it could have been worse.
Again its another one of those 17" laptops that falls into the jack of all trades bracket.
For me a 17" laptop should be one of two designs.
1. A desktop/workstation replacement, fairly robust and optimised for work/web/design. Dual HDD/workstation GPU/8GB+
2. A media centre with all the gloss and fancy media trappings (Bluray, HDMI,1080p etc. etc. )
This is another 17" that doesnt really appeal to either.
In the early 2000's, my quite-general-purpose/student computer had a 24inch monitor with about that number of pixels (in 3:4). It was fantastic to do coding work with, some light photoshopping, or watch a dvd, but ate up all of my desk.
This is just a space-efficient version of that, especially considering my workload & habits haven't really changed... 1080p screens are fine, but make no difference to any DVD I have and very little to any iPlayer/Lovefilm online watching. It clearly stated "budget" here.
Finally, A Welsh Laptop
The name Llano was blatantly chosen to appeal to the Welsh speaking market.
- Product round-up Six of the best gaming keyboard and mouse combos
- China building SUPERSONIC SUBMARINE that travels in a BUBBLE
- Boffins attempt to prove the UNIVERSE IS JUST A HOLOGRAM
- Review Raspberry Pi B+: PHWOAR, get a load of those pins
- 6 Obvious Reasons Why Facebook Will Ban This Article (Thank God)