Feeds

back to article Court bans man called Peter from calling himself Peter

A man called Peter has been banned from using the name "Peter" on the internet as a bail condition after being charged today with unauthorised use of a computer. Peter David Gibson, 22, from Hartlepool, was among three men and one unnamed 17-year-old charged at the City of Westminster Magistrates Court this morning for offences …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Joke

Can't use the name "Peter"?

Maybe the judge just threw that one in for the lulz.....

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

...... lulz

They should bring back the stocks for these idiots. Kind of hard to DDOS a web site when chained up in the local town square and covered in rotting veg.

Coat

To prevent re-offending ...

Gonna make credit card online purchases difficult. Unless he can lay his hands on a non-Peter piece of plastic.

Joke

no it isn;t...

There's an app for that

Silver badge
Thumb Down

But, Titus ...

... he has been bailed after being *charged" with the offences. He has not yet been found guilty of anything, so he is innocent, by dint of the Rule of Law. You cannot seriously be suggesting that innocent people should be tortured merely because they are suspected of doing things - we passed that stage several hundred years ago.

Silver badge
WTF?

credit cards

Since the group claimed responsibility for DDoS attacks on Mastercard and Visa, he might not be in their best books anyway!

But am I missing something here - calling your group Anonymous but using your real name online? - what's that all about?

Bronze badge

@Intractable Potsherd

Indeed I stand corrected, if convicted they should bring back the stocks for these sort of folks. Tempting as it is to suggest this as a cheaper mechanism for remand than custody, I guess that would be a bit inhuman.

FAIL

Peter?

So calling himself by his own name will encourage him to reoffend by being anonymous?

*facepalm

str_to_lulz()

Does it also cover 'p3t3r'?

Silver badge

Sir

For Pete's sake, wtf?

FAIL

Even I understood it ...

And I'm old and well out of touch :)

Coat

Epic

That's his Google+ a/c stuffed then...

Mine's the coat with the hastily scribbled over name badge on it

Anonymous Coward

Re: Epic

Not necessarily... Google is happy if you use a name you a known as, not just what it has on your passport, so "Pete" is probably fine, and in my book that doesn't string match "Peter".

WTF?

clear as a badges backside

> Not to use the internet using the name "Peter".

What the hell does that mean? Is his mom not allowed to call him by his first name when he's sat at a computer? If Amazon send him email starting "Dear Peter," is he screwed? If his email address is peter.gibson@gmail.com can he not sign in?

Not_Peter

Coat

Obvious!

It's to stop him being a rePeter offender.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Obvious!

For Pete's sake ...

Thumb Up

LOL@Nowster

Best comment posted here so far.

Silver badge
Coat

*phew*

So glad all those terrible jokes seem to have petered out.

Hey

Quit being so salty </obscure>

Silver badge

Change his name to Petre

I'm sure Stella Artois will sponsor his bail. They can ply him with enough cidre that he can't be arsed to touch a computre.

Coat

The men and the unnamed minor

Shouldn't that be "The men and the anonymous minor"?

Gold badge
Childcatcher

Re: The men and the unnamed minor

Peterphilia?

Holmes

The title is required, and must contain badgers and/or bacon.

"The hacker formerly known as Peter"

Big Brother

The right to use you own legal name

can be overthrown by a court???

sounds Kafkaesque.

Devil

Legal Name

Yes they can especialy if your name is Ronald McDonald no not that annoying prat the one I'm thinkung about is or was an Ironmonger in Scotland.Inverness I think.

Yes it can

I tried to join the musicians' union with my own name but they wouldn't let me because a famous (non-musician) performer at the time had the same name, and the local judge backed them up. So I tried to register as "Ringo Starr", arguing that he was a drummer, not a musician.

Some people have no sense of humor.

See, all those that thought judges were ill informed drunk tossers were wrong

Clearly wrong, this judge clearly has his finger right on the pulse.... which pulse I'm not sure

Silver badge
Coat

@Dave15

Err, it's a chick pea I think

Happy

I imagine

The fuss will peter out soon enough.

Pirate

eh...

Peter, Peter, lulzsec reader,

had no wife, nor any leader,

Got locked up, but then made bail,

Is he Peter? He can't tell.

jai
Silver badge

eh?

you mean someone on the internet was actually using their real name and not an alias? what is the (virtual) world coming to??

Silver badge
Pint

aha

you see no-one had thought of that before.

Brilliant idea, hiding in plain sight. He probably got the idea from The Purloined Letter.

That's a book.

A book.

You see, there are these things called "stories" that are printed on something called "paper" ... </fogydom>

Book?

That's like a Kindle, yeah?

FAIL

The reason given was "to prevent reoffending"

So, not yet convicted but the Judge has already determined they might 're-offend'.

Humm. Due process etc..

It they are such a threat why not keep them on remand? I thought these were the international criminal cyberterrorist masterminds intent on destroying our way of life?

Cant we at least show them who's boss by hitting them with a control order and maybe forcing them to move to somewhere without broadband? Or is that only for men with beards?

Prevention

You can prevent something without the assumption that the person is guilty of it. For example you can wear a condom to prevent contracting an STD, that doesn't mean you're accusing the person you're sleeping with of having one, just that you don't know for sure.

Trollface

Anonymous' real name is David

as any fule kno

Anonymous Coward

RE: Anonymous' real name is David

...and I thought it was Peter.

WTF?

re-offending

Unless I am very much mistaken, he has been found guilty yet.

How does that work?

I get charged with a motoring offence, and at the first hearing I'm told I can't use a car, before a verdict is delivered?

Computer says yes.

Yes, when caught driving very drunk or at ridiculous speeds your driving licence gets taken in immediately. That's indeed before judgement.

Anonymous Coward

I'M PETER!

And so's my wife!

Eh?

Surely allowing him to use his real name would quickly lead to detecting a re-offence? I mean there can't be that many Peters?

Maybe it's a double bluff, he can now leave secret 'Peter was here' text files on hacked servers safe in the knowledge he'll never be suspected! Brilliant!

Headmaster

Call me Ishmael

Since Peter is nothing but a nickname he should surely go back to the real name of Simon.

Peter, from the greek "πέτρα", meaning stone or rock.

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18

I guess my education wasn't entirely wasted!

Coffee/keyboard

I beg to differ ;0)

See title

Trollface

Well that's just harsh!

Now the poor guy won't be able to use Facebook at all!

Silver badge
Facepalm

"not to participate in any internet relay action"

Am I the only one that mentally put a "hot" in that sentence? Am I? Anyone?

Oh ok then.

^needs to get out more

Srsly :P

Coat

Internet Relay

I thought Internet Relay was an Olympic sport

Bronze badge
Coat

Olympic sport

Yes, it's part of the 1000ms PING event.

Anonymous Coward

Shirley...

...both of these classify as some kind of human rights violation.

1. Denying freedom of speech.

2. I don't know what; but it's bound to be something.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.