back to article LaCie CloudBox storage combo

It’s quite common for hard disk drives to also include an element of on-line backup these days. But even if you buy a big hard disk with 1TB or more of internal storage, the free on-line storage component tends to only be a few gigabytes – it’s really just a taster to try and get you to sign up for a subscription service that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

LaCie have an alternative service that might be more interesting

If you're going to have an always on storage device connected to the internet then LaCie;s http://www.wuala.com/ service might be a better option.

Get an HP Proliant Microserver for £140 (after cashback) install a 2TB for another £60.

Then sign up for the Wuala service.

Trade storage on your server (eg. 500GB) to the service and you will get free backups in the cloud. It is worth reading the details to make sure it matches your needs.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Wuala

The trouble with Wuala is that you appear to be limited to a maximum of 100GB of "traded" storage, so just as limited as this device, if an awful lot cheaper (free).

Anonymous Coward

100GB + 100GB

I think i've filled up 3.5TB on my NAS now...

100GB would last me about a week!

Silver badge

Nice review

Presumably all the data is encrypted ? Otherwise who is going to be happy entrusting their "important office documents" to some random coorporation ?

I like these NAS devices in general, but its about time they came with built in encryption across the board. Even then, I would only backup to the cloud stuff like music, not my private files.

FAIL

You might need on-line backup...

LaCie have an unusual approach to customer service.

6 weeks ago, a drive died on my Quadra 4Big RAID array, in a way that wasn't documented in the manual. I contacted support (by web-page only) and 2 weeks later, they finally allowed me to return it, at my expense. (Each response took 2-3 days and each time you reply, you go to the back of the queue again.)

It arrived back just over a week later, broken. One of the drives locks was bent, so the disk didn't make contact with the backplane. For the last couple of weeks they've been trying to get "confirmation from our Logistics Team on a replacement being shipped to you". All I have is a damaged aluminium paperweight in a cardboard box.

I wouldn't buy another LaCie product if they were the only ones left in the business.

Thumb Down

But...

What happens when you have a bandwidth limit? Can I tell it to only use 'x' Gig a month?

Also what about the other (Thunderbolt) products LaCie have been promising since February, still no price, release date or delivery date!

Bronze badge

£175?

£175 is a lot of money for this. You are comparing the price with dropbox which isn't really a backup service. Dropbox is a service for synchronising files between computers.

LiveDrive is £4.95 a month for unlimited storage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums