Feeds

back to article New NASA site offers solar system and time travel

NASA is making many a child's dream come true by letting the public take a trip through the solar system – and you don't even have to leave your living room. Eyes on the Solar System NASA's new site: Eyes on the Solar System. The space administration is putting actual mission data on an interactive website, Eyes on the Solar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Linux

Fail.

"This application requires the Unity 3D plug-in.

Unfortunately, the Unity 3D plug-in is only supported on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X 10.4 or newer."

Linux may be OS to the Gods, but not to NASA's PR wonks.

FAIL

The irony being ...

That linux is probably running on 90% of NASAs machines ....

No "probably" about it

The mission I work on (mls.jpl.nasa.gov) has four big beowulf clusters to number-crunch the raw data.

Unity 3D

is also a 400MB plugin....

Not happening here!

Megaphone

OS? It's not even a PC

Worse still, in the tutorial video the resident chick says "available for both PC and Mac". Now I can't begin to tell you how much that phrase PISSES ME OFF every time I see it on my Ubuntu box...

Umm!

(PC mostly) But..

Stellarium

Celestia

Orbiter

Universe SandBox

To name just four progs that allow to you travel universe (locally that is), just like a child. And you don't hav e to leave the living room.

Regards

Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

it's a bit like http://spacelog.org/

Anonymous Coward

Insanely awesome

I've just re-enacted Voyager 2's Saturn flyby, watching Voyager 1 go by in the distance….

Can't find any way to switch from Imperial to Metric measures...

and the feedback feature doesn't work, tried it with IE and Firefox, just doesn't display a Captcha image, won't reload or play a sound, so no way to ask/suggest if they could add a measure toggle or just default to a real scientific measures scheme.

Would help the US and UK to get used to the idea of using a WW standard and prevent future robot missions trying to penetrate remote landscapes.

This topic is closed for new posts.