Feeds

back to article Nearing iPhone 5 launch prompts operator action

World+Dog is gearing up for the iPhone 5. Deutsche Telekom today said it will begin allotting the as yet unreleased - or even announced - handset to T-Mobile subscribers by handing those who ask for one a voucher entitling them to the phone when it finally goes on sale. So said a DT spokesman who spoke to Bloomberg today. How …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Hype

Can we have a moratorium on iPhone 5 stories until it actually arrives - then once it ships a single review followed by no more than one story a week.

Failing that, please rename the site iPhone News

Anonymous Coward

Indeed...

The entire content of this "story" can be summed up as "some operators think they will have the unpriced, unspec'ed iphone five first week of October".

Well I think I'm going to drink a few beers in the first week of October, and maybe have a curry... Far more news worthy in my books.

Silver badge
Trollface

Or

Don't read the articles, the number of which don't form anywhere near a majority on the Reg?

Silver badge
Windows

RE "Can we have a moratorium on iPhone 5 stories until it actually arrives"

Yes please. When anybody mentions the iP***e 5 out loud these days our dog hides under the sofa and whines - mind you so do I for that matter.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

You forgot some of the content

... "and that fanbois are still queuing up to buy them even though they do not know how much the iPhone 5 will cost or if it will have specs any better than the iPhone 4 they already undoubtedly have".

Stop

market share

How will iPhone 5 actually increase the marketshare of Apple in the mobile phone world, I wonder, given that historically Apple fans seem to have the insatiable upgrade urge. ALL iPhone 4 owners I know used to have an iPhone 3gs...and before that they had an iphone3g...and before that...

Other handsets seem to have migrants...Nokia user becomes blackberry user, blackberry user picks up window mobile 6, Motorola guy picks up Android handset leaving his old hello MOTO phone behind

Anonymous Coward

Re: market share

So, in other words you are saying that all the the iPhone4 owners you know are sufficiently happy with the iPhone series that they have stuck with the iPhone through 3 upgrades, whereas the users of other handsets that you are acquainted with are sufficiently unhappy with their phones that they are changing models regularly, presumably in search of something better.

I'm sure Apple can live with this.

Plenty of migrants thanks

FIrst off very few upgraders owned every phone, this is pretty easy to see by the fact that the Og iPhone hardly sold any units - 6.1mill total - whereas Apple sold 20million last quarter. In fact in the US alone Apple's share of mobile subscribers increased by 65% in the last year (source comscore)

Personally I skipped the 3G and 3GS and may well skip the 5, because the long OS level support for older phones means at 3 years old I expect the iPhone-4 to still be a very good device.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Apples and Oranges

Non-Apple phone buyers switch brands because the best phone on the market with the features they want is not always made by the same company. Nokia and Samsung and HTC and Motorola and Sony Ericsson are in competition; that pushes each of them forward in an attempt to be better than their rivals - or at least provide a unique selling point that people will want - and hence win the sales.

Apple phone buyers do exactly the same thing, except instead of buying the best phone on the market they buy the best iPhone on the market.

Stop

Why the hate?

I count 2 out of about 50 articles on the front page about the iPhone 5. There are also 2 about WebOS, and that's just gone! Like it or not, the forthcoming iPhone 5 will be a highly significant milestone in technology news this year. If you're not interested, don't bother to comment. If you dislike *other people* being interested, carry on as you are, or preferably, seek help.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the hate

"I count 2 out of about 50 articles on the front page about the iPhone 5. There are also 2 about WebOS, and that's just gone!"

Ah, yes, but WebOS exists, it has a spec, it does things. The iphone 5 is complete vapour. No spec, no price and for all we know they might not even call it the iphone 5! There is no iphone 5 news! Yet it gets two mentions... What have those two articles told you about the iphone 5? Did that really require two stories?

"the forthcoming iPhone 5 will be a highly significant milestone in technology news this year"

No, it's likely to be a highly over publicised, over priced and over rated phone this year.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Why the hate

"No, it's likely to be a highly over publicised, over priced and over rated phone this year."

Par for the course for the whole mobile industry, not just Apple....

This topic is closed for new posts.