Feeds

back to article TextGrabber

I often use the camera on my iPhone to take quick snapshots of telephone numbers and other bits of information that I see when I’m out and about during the day. When I get home, I have to write the info down somewhere, or maybe enter it into my contacts or some other app on the iPhone. That’s a tedious little chore, so I was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Meh

OCR is a bit of a resource hog.

The review doesn't say how instantly or reliably it decodes a section of text.

OCR is really the sort of thing that either ought to be integrated with iOS/Android down low where it can be optimised, or handed off to some meaty engine somewhere in The Cloud. Google presumably has access to decent OCR IP from all the pirati^H^H^H document digitising work it's been doing recently. I don't know what Apple's OCR history is.

jai
Silver badge

re: OCR is a bit of a resource hog

Took a picture of your post on my laptop with TextGrabber, then ran the convert. Took about 15 seconds I guess and the results are below:

OCR is a bit of a resource hog* #

Thursday 1ri; S»^:e"-sor 2011 13:I%GMT '. '• "'l:''

The review doesn*t say bow instantly or reliably it decodes a

section of text.

OCR is realty the sort of thing ih^^thsFQU^ii to be integrated

with JOS/AndneMd^WR tow wtere it can be optimised, or handed off to

some meaty in The Cioud. Google pnesumably has

access to decent OCR IP from all the piratiWHAH document digitising

work it's been doing recently. ( dont know what Apple's OCR history is.

Thumb Up

Text + Photo or just text?

Does the app store the original photo along with the text or do you have to do that manually?

Just for those occasional OCR "hiccups" where a 6 becomes an 8 in a phone number or similar and you need to confirm it visually later.

Otherwise, looks good

Hmm

Would be nice if the text would be saved to Dropbox or synced with SimpleNote or whatever.

Stop

Presumably then

If the iPad camera isn't up to it, the 3GS one probably isn't going to be much cop either. Guess I'll save my money until I get my next iPhone upgrade.

Bear in mind

The iPad camera is worse than the camera on the iPhone 2G, its fine for FaceTime, crap for photos.

This topic is closed for new posts.