back to article Post-Jobs Apple: New research shows Cook will do fine

Forget about your Ivy League/Oxbridge/Harvard business school education, your connections or how many millions in personal funds you can plough into the business: the one thing you really need as a CEO is a big face, at least according to a new study to be published in journal Psychological Science. Elaine M Wong of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Fail

Testosterone increases when you are in a position of power. Making face structure a symptom of testosterone level which would both be a symptom of success not a predictor.

Anonymous Coward

I like better the correlation to month of birth

Born in May-June means: you were among the eldest in your classroom, and you learnt how to boss the others around. Born in August-September means: You learnt how to obey.

AC - Born in August

FAIL

Er, actually...

It's the other way around.

Headmaster

Only in the UK

In the US and France, for example, the cohort birth dates don't tend to match the academic year (eldest in September, youngest in August) but instead follow the calendar year(eldest born in January, youngest born in December).

This was particularly noticeable for me, as in moving from the US to the UK, with a November birthday, I went from being one of the youngest in my year to one of the oldest.

Silver badge
Boffin

re: Only in the UK

The UK varies also. As I remember it (being schooled in both England and Scotland), the cut off in England was around September. In Scotland though it was around April/May.

Anonymous Coward

Science....

....it works, bitches.

No, wait, /Psychological/ science?

Silver badge

Three lucky guesses in a row

That's the standard definition of an "expert". The same can be applied to a CEO. So far as Jobs and Apple (more specifically, Apple's success with the iPhone/Pad) his three lucky guesses were:

- Make it look pretty. Every other phone was pushing function, features, battery life, cost, size or camera-pixels. Jobs went after the "I don't what it does, but I WANT ONE" market.

- Optimise profit per unit. When the rest of the bunch were chasing market share and making pennies per device, he bucked the trend and went for the high-end. That Apple could exploit that exclusivity, helped too.

- Its not really a phone. This was the biggie. Stevie-boy called it a phone to keep it familiar, but really it was a platform to make buying apps and content easier. It also made calls.

and a bonus, to achieve true super-hero status:

- Make people feel good about owning one. That means get it associated with success, make it visible on TV and in films (but only "good" films, of course), keep the name in the spotlight and squash any and all bad publicity.

So what should Jobs' successor do? Probably as little as possible is the answer. Apple and the i<thing> won't last forever. However the best way to hasten its demse is to mess with the successful formula. Don't introduce a cheap version, don't let the competition grab a share of the "cool" reputation, don't sacrifice "shiny" for production costs, keep up the hype with new models every year and never, ever let it become a commodity item.

So long as the new guy can resist the temptation to try and "make his mark" - the downfall of most post-messianic leaders' replacements - and just keeps playing the game, Apple's probably got another 5 or 10 years left before the maggots get it.

Silver badge

I would have thought

a big mouth and loud voice would do.

Pint

If a big mouth and loud voice were enough...

If just a big mouth and loud voice were enough, Microsoft's Steve Ballmer would have been a roaring success over the last few years.

Headmaster

Er, no

"a big mouth and loud voice" just help to demonstrate that someone is a greater bullshitter - more quickly and more forcefully - than a person of average size and volume.

WTF?

slow news day...

mrs wong and her love of the wide face...wasn't that a terry gillian film?

Bronze badge

Or, as Dilbert says

Hair, height, and Harvard.

Facepalm

Over here...

It's "OMFG Tim Cook is possibly GAY!!!!1111ononeone" so it must be a really slow news day.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums