back to article Gov outlines Criminal Records Bureau successor

The Home Office has begun to look for a replacement for the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA), with a tender for a company to run outsourced disclosure and barring services. The new service will bring the CRB and ISA together, and is aimed at supporting the implementation of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Joke

Easy solution!

Let British Gas, RBS or any other major corporation do it. They already have the CRM infrastructure in place along with a fully accountable complaints management system to handle the rare problem that may arise.

What could possibly go wrong?

Anonymous Coward

Here we are with unemployment at 2.5 million

And the muppets running this country want to add to that figure.

I wonder who will get the backhander this time?

Facepalm

Oh good...

Another government IT project.

Let's see: Merging two agencies...Need to work with existing systems... GBP 350 M of taxpayer's money (plus no doubt the odd overrun)... Eight year contract... Vague spec... Timescales not yet defined...

What could possibly go wrong?

Capita

Will get it. They already do "childens services" and have access to home office and pnc records.

outsourcing?

Can anybody point to a successful government privatising initiative? I can't see where they get the idea that it's a good idea.

Ru
Unhappy

Works just as well if

you remove the 'privatising' part of the question.

Or indeed the 'initiative' bit.

Black Helicopters

Will it promise

the *total* expungement- including from archives, backups, USB sticks and paper- of any information that is incorrect, irrelevant or a case of mistaken identity?

Will it be *impossible*- not just unlikely or unusual- to extract information without the need or authority?

If not, it is still fundamentally broken and an affront to basic rights.

WTF?

India

Infosys / TCS can do it for far less and at better quality.

Why spend £100s of Millions when you can spend £2.36 and get better quality ?

Please..

Tell me you're joking

Troubling

Why not go for a co-op based approach where the existing workers share a proportion of money left over from the budget? These private companies just seem to give employees a raw deal.

Trollface

>outsourcing to India

>better quality

Yeah, until you want tech support.

Thumb Down

India? You're kidding, right?

Too many cases of India workers being bought off to seel data on folks. no thanks.

Made in USA

Brig it over here . The US needs the jobs. And if you ask nicely I promise my gov won't take control of the data . Yep they will nicely tell you brits after the fact, only if they get caught .

Anonymous Coward

Guilty until proved innocent

That was the ethos behind CRB, but "proved innocent" meant nobody yet found out what you're up to. Fact is most abuse of vulnerable persons happens within familiy and close friends - the rest is in the variious "care" services (esp children/elderly/mental health) which only employ CRB checked persons. Dodgy scout masters/vicars/teachers are a relative scarcity but grab the headlines 'cos nobody turns in dirty uncle Joe, just try to keep their kids away from him.

I'd happily help out at scouts/cadets/schools etc. I got a CRB for one organisation but refuse to participate in the farce of delay and payment for recertification for every other such organisation I may want to volunteer for especially for something proven ineffective. It can only check known offenders ending up in people being barred from work for long past offences in areas of the law totally unrelated to vulnerable persons. The last loony government wanted to "fix" that by taking into consideration soft evidence like - he bought a smutty mag, saw a blue movie.

FAIL

Ironic

The title "Protection of Freedoms bill" will be the more ironic if that/when the contract goes to a head shop in locales like India, China or Vietnam where massive piles of personal data are sold everyday.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums