back to article Microsoft unveils file-move changes in Windows 8

Microsoft has been throwing out crumbs on forthcoming features for Windows 8, but dodged serving up the main course. Windows 8 will clean up the system for downloading files to your PC and changing file names, Microsoft has said on its newly launched Building Windows 8 blog. The successor to Windows 7 will combine file …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. lawndart

says:

Will Microsoft be restoring the space remaining on disk information they infuriatingly removed from Win7's Explorer status bar? Or will we still have to download a third party application that restores that vital power-user admin function?

1. Ammaross Danan
      Go

Space Remaining

Space remaining is simple enough to see. In Win7 Explorer, click "computer" and it shows the drives in the system with a bar showing used vs free space. Click on any of the drives and it shows "Space free:" in the status bar. Not as simple as always showing X free diskspace in the status bar all the time, but usually you should have an idea of how much disk space you have left....

What I hope they improve is the file renaming, so if you have, for instance a bunch of photos named "DCIM_0001", "DCIM_0002", etc, you could select all of them and rename them to end up being "Birthday2010_0001", "Birthday2010_0002" (retaining the original numberings/letterings in the part of the filename you didn't change), rather than renaming them all to your new name + _00X. It's even worse when you already have them all named, but wanted to add a short prefix to all 100 of them....

1. PT

@Danan

"What I hope they improve is the file renaming"...

Tasks easily carried out with the 'Group Rename' function of PowerDesk, which is everything Windows Explorer could have been if Microsoft had any imagination. Perhaps they should buy a copy and rip it off, if they're looking for reasons why people should pay yet again for another unnecessary version of Windows.

2. scrubber
        Windows

CygWin

Download CygWin, then type: rename DCIM Birthday2010 DCIM*

2. Fuzz

Space remaining is already there

Set your Computer view to details, tiles or content and space free and total space are displayed for each drive, at least they are on mine.

2. Si 1
    Devil

Will it finally...

So will this finally fix the problem where you start copying a whole bunch of files and then halfway through it encounters something it cannot copy for some vague reason and just stops copying the rest of the files? I hate that you then have to manually ascertain what has and hasn't been copied over and then manually select the remaining files to copy.

Sure I could use some file sync/transfer program, but shouldn't the OS be clever enough to deal with basic copying of files from A to B?

1. Michael 47

Windows does this now...

Windows 7 (and maybe Vista, not sure...) already does this now. It will transfer all the files it can, and then gives prompts for each file it couldn't copy (or a tick box for 'do this action for all remaining files of course)

2. Test Man
      FAIL

XP?

Guess who hasn't upgraded from XP yet...

3. kevjs
      Facepalm

Vista does that already

Vista already does that - giving you the option to "Try Again", "Retry" or "Cancel", rather handy when Windows Media Player has decided it wants to keep a video open, again.

4. Jean-Luc
      Happy

@Si 1

real men use Robocopy

1. bazza Silver badge
        Pint

@Si 1: Real men?

Real hairy chested weather beaten gruff talking wizzened old men use Xtree Gold, or possibly it's very welcome Windows clone ZTree bold.

1. Martin
          Linux

Real men don't even use Windows...

...and if they must, they use the command line.

3. Armando 123
    Coat

Uh, what?

"Windows 8 will clean up the system for downloading files to your PC and changing file names"

So they'll be adding sftp and rm then?

Mine's the one with the BSD install DVDs in the pocket

1. The BigYin

I am waiting for them...

...to suck in librsync (or similar) and then crow like it's all amazing and new.

MS - rocking your world like pre-1996.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Right...

...I'll switch to an operating system which is ground-up unfamiliar, and supports 0 of the applications I use for my company.

I suppose the next response is, "Don't use those programs', to which I reply, 'Find me several excellent driving simulators that run on *nix and can also be use by people running windows'. Oops, you can't, since they don't exist.

Presumably, after that, the response is something along the lines of, "Don't be in that business, luser", but it's tough to predict.

The irony is that I probably would have persevered in my several linux-ish excursions had the linux-ish fans not had such a massive proportion of arrogant, know-it-all, antisocial blowhards in their ranks.

You want to know why linux isn't more popular? People saying stuff like, "I've been doing that with xt-deadnewt for 10 years!" and "mine's the one with BSD install DVDs in the pocket". Hint: if you want to convert Windows users, an insult should not be the first thing they hear.

1. jason 7
        FAIL

Also another way to totally baffle a linux guru......

...ask for clear, precise step by step/click by click instructions on how to make techinical changes or tasks in linux.

Never happen. Way beyond their comprehension.

All they can say is "Duhhhhh, just recompile your kernel in KDE 4.5 and then install the tar.gz and enter the lines sg-ts-45dhfjd@@ into it..blah blah blah............."

Yeah..okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

1. The BigYin

@jason 7

I'm guessing that was addressed to me.

This is the 21st century, what normal end-user would dois find the program they want in the package manager or app store.

Select "Install"

Authorise themselves (to prove they have rights to install)

Click a few buttons (if that)

Err....job done. No need to grub around websites, reboot, worry about versions or updates.

There is also a reason that some information for doing things in GNU/Linux is given as CLI - it's cut n' paste, often universal and quicker to type out. The problem is not GNU/Linux using the CLI, it's Windows not using it (even OS X has a proper CLI FFS). Have to explain what buttons to click also goes out of date as soon as the UI changes. You do know that in GNU/Linux people can run many, many different window managers, decorators and desktops don't you?

3. AceRimmer
      Facepalm

Adding sFTP

lose-lose for MS

If Microsft did add an sFTP client to windows then they'll be accused of "screwing" the third party sFTP application providers

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Facepalm

copying, moving, renaming, and deleting files

Well, duh - what the hell else do you use a file manager for, other than managing files?

Meanwhile, ursine excrement continues to be located in forested areas...

1. MJI Silver badge

CMD.EXE

Most important utility on Windows

REN words

MD works

CD works

1. Anonymous IV
        Thumb Up

@MJI

And so does ROBOCOPY work...

1. MJI Silver badge
          Thumb Up

ROBOCOPY

Well over 20 years on PCs and that looks usefull

2. greggo
        Thumb Down

no, cd doesn't work, never has

c:\home> cd d:\data

c:\home>

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@greggo

You'd want to use

cd /d d:\data

You see MSDOS/Windows remembers the directories you were at on each drive so the behaviour you don't like is to be expected.

3. mittfh
        Trollface

Nah...

The most useful commands in CMD.EXE?

fdisk

format

deltree (if that still exists)

Particularly...

format c: /u

deltree /y c:\*.*

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK, I'm probably being an idiot here, but...

"While IE9's market share is growing, it has failed to arrest IE's overall market slide"

How exactly can you have a market slide when your market share is growing? WTF?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes you are...

IE9's share is growing, but the overall market share across all versions of IE is diminishing.

2. Handle M'Baughbags
      Facepalm

title

The total IE share is for IE6, 7, 8 and 9, that's dropping, but the share for IE9 by itself is going up, albeit more slowly.

3. Lloyd Kinsella

Umm

Overall IE use is sliding, it just means more users are moving to IE9 from other versions...like IE6.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Errr...

"Overall IE use is sliding, it just means more users are moving to IE9 from other versions...like IE6."

That'll be a challenge in itself, what with an upgrade to 9 being impossible if you are running anything older than 8. Only wat to go from 6 to 9 is to go to Win7.

4. Jerome 0
      WTF?

More to the point

If "IE did nothing but march north" since 1998, how can its market share now be decreasing? It must have started slipping back south at some point.

6. Lamont Cranston
    Windows

Am I being thick, or are

"copying, moving, renaming, and deleting files" not the reason that Windows Explorer exists?

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

I thought...

that was what the "File Open" dialog was for in MS Word... at least that's how my users do it. ;)

2. Solomon Grundy

Me Too

I thought that's what it was for myself. I guess I need to look into the other 50% of Windows Explorer that I'm not using....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm fascinated to know

what else people are using Windows Explorer to do

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Umm...

Finding a file to open?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other browsing?

When did IE overtake Netscape for non-pron browsing?

9. Annihilator
    Meh

Shirley the browser?

"The successor to Windows 7 will combine file download dialogue boxes into a single box, you'll be able to stop and pause downloads, and rather than trying to estimate how long a download has left to run, the new operating system will instead feature a graph that shows the data transfer speed, transfer rate trend, and how much data is left to transfer."

So... what Firefox predominantly already does?

Or if we're talking about general file transfers on the local machine, what OSX has been doing for years?

Distinctly unimpressed.

1. Test Man
      FAIL

Who cares?

Who really cares if Firefox does it or if OS X does it? Windows doesn't... and now it will do. That's all that matters for people who actually use Windows.

2. magnetik

Re: Shirley the browser?

True enough but OS X Lion got its own share of underwhelming features - resize windows from any corner? Apple's Finder is still a piece of junk. PathFinder is one of the first progs I install on a new Mac. Likewise file dialogue boxes in OS X are rubbish - why can't we rename / delete / move a file when saving a new copy of something? Apple have a lot of catching up to do there.

On this topic, when will programs like installers get more intelligent progress displays? An installer has to take several steps such as:

1) check that the disk has space for your app

2) check that it can write into the target directory

3) copy a bunch of files

4) add stuff to the registry (or config files in *nix)

5) add shorcuts / menu items

Too many apps treat each of those steps as equal amounts of work so that your progress bar shoots to 40% in a couple of seconds, then sits there for 5 minutes while the files are copied, and completes the last .40% in a few more seconds. You may as well not have a progress bar at all.

1. Steve Knox
        Unhappy

They did.

"On this topic, when will programs like installers get more intelligent progress displays? "

Around the early nineties. I noticed a trend then with installers for Windows 3.1 apps. A lot of them were showing two progress bars: one for the current task (which was clearly described above said progress bar) and one for the overall install. Then InstallShield came along, everyone stuffed function for ease of development and a flashy interface, and the intelligent progress display disappeared.

10. Handle M'Baughbags

File operations

Apart from the "duh" sounds everyone is making, surely the singularly most popular operation in Windows Explorer is launching applications? Most people I know don't use Windows Explorer to manage files. They either don't (and so everything goes into the location the application suggests, such as "My Documents" or "Downloads") or use something to manage it for them (like iTunes, a photo album or ebook organizer).

11. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

RIP - The windows 'time remaining' fantasy game

How a file copy can go from 6eons remaining to 5 seconds in less time than it takes Usain Bolt to run 100m has always been a source of amusement.

Will their new graph get rid of the uncertainty?

How much screen real estate will it take up. With these ever shrinking Verticals(aka those silly widescreen displays), these are the sorts of things we need to know.

At least they have taken half a step forward.

Paris for no other reason than there was a piccy of her in a Blue wig in the Metro today.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Why not click on the link in the article and take a look?

Personally, I think the little graph thing is a good idea. I look forward to seeing this appropriated by other operating systems...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
        FAIL

Love to, but the video won't play in IE6,7,8 or Firefox 5.

Rather odd that they should choose to prevent the vast majority of corporate clients from viewing the video, given that the vast majority of MSDN subscribers are corporates.

12. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Obligatory XKCD

...oh you've already done it. Nevermind then.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Feature request

I wish they would add an "I'm the administrator, stop trying to second guess me and just do what I fucking tell you without asking stupid questions" button.

1. Anonymous IV
      Thumb Down

Feature request

If they said that, they'd have to pop up a window saying, "Contains language and mild violence"...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Steve Knox
      Holmes

@AC: Feature request

Control Panel > User Accounts > User Account Control Settings > Never Notify

Any other features you'd like added? Perhaps a use for that right-mouse button?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like