Feeds

back to article iPhone app tracks Android-equipped Surrey cops

Residents of Runnymede can now follow the goings-on of their local plod on a free iPhone app, assuming plod decides to record his location on his Huawei-supplied handset. The pair of apps were developed by UK-based Multizone, and the public component is being launched on the iPhone today. That free app can be used to pick up the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

Just a question of time

.....before a criminal sues Apple for allowing the incident that involved his arrest to be tracked on a Jesus phone...

Devil

I can hear his lawyer now

And he'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Anonymous Coward

Action: Community liason.

There's no way I'd enable this if I was a copper.

Mushroom

You are joking......

.... is this really how we think the Police should be spending their time ?

An utter, utter utter waste of everything.......

P.

Thumb Down

huh

And that's exactly the quality of analysis we can expect from "The public can then use a sliding scale to say how important that activity is to them"...

Thumb Up

And therein lies the snag

"the copper selects from a list of activities they'd like people to think they're doing"

Love it

Joke

Unlikely sub-title....

Surely it should be:

PC459 Is: <Arresting you> For: <Calling the police and infringing the burglar's human right to steal>

Or

PC459 Is: <Evacuating the area> While: <Yobs loot or burn down anything in sight as it's their human rights to do so>

Silver badge
Facepalm

WTF????

did anyone consider that the location and activities of the plod just _might_ be of interest to people other than daily fail readers?

like say crooks and terrorists for eg??

Silver badge
Big Brother

Now there's a funny thing, there I was believing that all these media channel thingys.........

...........were all evil and should be shut down the moment the plods or politicos want them shut down (because of course I believe implicitly in everything the Daily Heil tells me) and now we see it just depends - as in whether they like you using these media or not and when it suits *them*. Now there's a surprise.

Bronze badge

Huawei

I can see that getting past the Home Office accreditor.

I do have a question

Remember when honest citizens had rights instead of the criminals? Right, only me, I'll just fogy my way to the pub so I can grumble about kids these days with their iPhones and fax machines and hula loops.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Excellent news

Now we just need an app for tracking the criminals too. Care to supply one, Huawei?

Anonymous Coward

RIM already do this

According to the daily mail.

Bronze badge

Since

the police tetra handsets have gps installed maybe they can arrange a direct feed of the location of all patrolling units ?

At least the residents will then know where the four patrolling units are at any one time.......which includes the three-town dog....

FAIL

That'll be useful

... for anyone planning to commit crimes. Planning to do a bit of twoccing this evening? Check no plod nearby... yeah good to go!

Could be reassuring, maybe.

If you had complained about people speeding past your local school I suppose you might like to see that they were going a speed trap on that road for a bit. Or patrolling whatever area was prone to trouble.

My local neighbourhood bobbies already do this by Facebook, after the fact of course - "we have spent the morning at such and such a community meeting" or whatever. They also post details of stolen property and whatnot.

This topic is closed for new posts.