How do the different types of intrusion prevention system (IPS) work? Inline systems sit on the network like layer-two bridges, passing traffic along as they receive it. Host-based systems sit on the server, watching the traffic that it sends and receives. Both check packets for any suspicious activity, often using the most …
For a free GPL solution see the Snort inline fork - Suricata
Snort is going to be over taken by Suricata shortly - snort-inline has dies as a project.. (only the inline version is an IPS rather than IDS)
Suricata is 'more free' and as a result has funding by the USA navy (the creators of Tor) and the Dept of homeland security...
Spot the obvious omission?
Errr... where's Snort in the list???
- 'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux
- Game Theory Half a BILLION in the making: Bungie's Destiny reviewed
- Review A SCORCHIO fatboy SSD: Samsung SSD850 PRO 3D V-NAND
- Was Earth once covered in HELLFIRE? No – more like a wet Sunday night in Iceland
- Every billionaire needs a PANZER TANK, right? STOP THERE, Paul Allen