Feeds

back to article Cloud music-locker ruling: MP3tunes claims '99% victory'

The legal fight in US Courts between record labels and music-locker cloud services continues into a full-blown case – despite both sides claiming something favourable from court rulings yesterday. A judge in New York District Court ruled that most of Michael Robertson's MP3tunes operation was covered by "safe harbor" provisions …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

The lawyers will get richer...

and the users and advertising fees will go up to cover the expense. Same story repeated over and over and over...

WTF?

Yes.

<quote>

the words "file-sharing" and "free" are "ubiquitous among legitimate sites offering legitimate services". Are they really?

</quote>

Yes, they are. There may not exist many legitimate music sharing sites, but there are plenty of other "legitimate sites offering legitimate services" which use the words "free" and "file-sharing" (or synonyms).

An example being dropbox.

(Written by Reg staff) Bronze badge

Re: Yes.

" There may not exist many legitimate music sharing sites"

Just the one, alas.

Devil

last i checked

jamendo.com was completely legit. Not what EMI is gunning for, but legit nevertheless.

Although i do confess to downloading tracks from jamendo that should not have been there due to the artist having signed a draconian contract with $local_collecting_society.

Silver badge

A lot of 'em are legitimate

Megaupload, rapidshare, etc have been used for "piracy", but they have been also used for large file transfers; quite a number of companies have used it for business purposes. Then there's that former DJ who put up all his free promo stuff on filesharing services.

Same thing with BitTorrent; those playing SC2, MGS4 and a good bunch of games are using BitTorrent for game updates. The judge is right in removing the stigma of "filesharing == piracy" that the *AAs insist on using. Then again, these are the guys behind "copyright infringement == theft" so they do seem to lack basic logical thinking anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I do not condone piracy. But a good bunch of antipiracy arguments are really, really stupid.

Silver badge

A lot of 'em are legitimate

Megaupload, rapidshare, etc have been used for "piracy", but they have been also used for large file transfers; quite a number of companies have used it for business purposes. Then there's that former DJ who put up all his free promo stuff on filesharing services.

Same thing with BitTorrent; those playing SC2, MGS4 and a good bunch of games are using BitTorrent for game updates. The judge is right in removing the stigma of "filesharing == piracy" that the *AAs insist on using. Then again, these are the guys behind "copyright infringement == theft" so they do seem to lack basic logical thinking anyway.

DISPCLAIMER: I do not condone piracy. But a good bunch of antipiracy arguments are really, really stupid.

This topic is closed for new posts.