back to article Second e-petition hits 100K: Calls for Hillsborough docs

A second e-petition has crossed the 100,000 votes barrier, which means it will be discussed by a Commons business committee and could get debated in Parliament. The site, which struggled to stay online for the first few days, has proved more popular than expected – predictions were that no petition would hit 100,000 before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mark 63 Silver badge

for why?

"The Information Commissioner's Office has already called for the documents to be released but the Cabinet Office refused and said it would appeal the decision reached in July."

er, why?

why do we need a pettion?

wont a £10 FOI request suffice?

The article would be a lot more informative if it had said why the government, or part of it, is withholding the information

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. mark 63 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Thanks for the correction

Yes yes yes, I was merely having jokey uneducated prose. Innit

What "grinds my gears" about peoples use of English. You dont see it written down much its more of a verbal thing - People finishing sentences with 'so...' . Note the dots, they indicate the way the persons voice will fade out as if deciding the rest of the sentence isnt necassary.

"Drink after work"

"well , I'm in a meeting so...."

"SO"- what??? Finish your goddam sentence!

a 'so' indicates there are more words to come!

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

For Why

It means 'because' and is perfectly dandy English; Shakespeare was really fond of the construction. 'For why my bowels cannot hide [your] woes, but like a drunkard I must vomit them' springs to mind.

I'm not sure if your handle is supposed to be 'Your Retard' which seems to be the case - but if not, you'll find the apostrophe just below the @ sign on most keyboards.....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

I know where the key is

But that symbol is not part of my name.

2. mark 63 Silver badge

FFS why?????

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the background of this case

I thought due to the freedom of information act the government were law bound to release any documents requested unless they had a damn good reason not - national security or such

so whats the problem here?

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

If they have nothing to hide, they have nothing to fe...oh.

3. Rentaguru

That's not possible

All the documents not actually presented to the first enquiry were shredded by the solicitors (after consulting the current chief constable of west yorkshire) when the enquiry into the enquiry was launched by Jack Straw - this was so as not to confuse the enquiry by exposing it to materials not seen by the original enquiry.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Waste of public money

Good idea, lets waste more money on dealing with a historical event. Nothing can be changed. It's done.

Let us blame the animals repsonsible (i.e. the suporters) for trying to force their way into an already crowded football ground.

Don't watse money on trying to find a way to lay blame on anyone else.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Down

erm...

Even the reports of that time concluded the main cause was poor policing and forcing people into an already packed stand while adjacent stands were relatively empty, NOT the supporters. Of course, as usually happens, no actual responsibility was ever assigned to anyone and as far as I know no disciplinary measures were ever taken against any police officers involved.

I don't know what's the overlap between El Reg readers / commentards and supporters of the red part of scouseland, but I'm pretty sure we can find out by counting the number of downvotes you get.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

That's the whole point...

The reason this is still going on is because of people like you who think that it was the fault of the fans because that is "Wot the Sun Said". Some of the lies printed were horrific. And people like you are still repeating these lies many years later. Continuing a cover-up. Changing the reality.

Good to see the majority of the posts so far don't share your blinkered opinions.

And no - I am not a red. I also have the intelligence to realise that headlines in the sun are just to sell newspapers, they are not to report the facts. I would have thought this latest Murdoch mess of the phone tapping should have taught you that by now.

5. Rentaguru

nothing to hide

...how about (this is an example of the stuff not presented to the enquiry) reports of overheard canteen boasts by some plod about what they'd liberated from the dead and injured. Apparantly this sort of minor nickage from accident victims and suspects is looked on as part of flatfoots bonus structure (I think there was a recent case of items appearing on ebay shortly after a raid on some drug suspect).

Now I'm not saying the Sun is a respectable newspaper but I believe that their story about Liverpool fans nicking from the dead was based on a leak from SYP after they'd heard about the boasts floating around in the canteen from their own coppers.

More about this topic can be found in this historical piece

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/215112.stm

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Message for the scallies

It was Thatcher wot did it.

There you go, that's what you wanted to hear. Now let the dead lie in peace.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Brits mainly care about riots and football tragedy"

I thought riots and football were the same thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only in england

See title

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real Hillsborough tragedy

The real Hillsborough disaster was `reports' in the Sun, that fans beat up a cop trying to revive a victim [AND] fans tried to pickpocket victims [AND] last but not least "Some fans urinated on the brave cops", none of which subsequently turned out to be true [AND] Kelvin MacKenzie, the editor of the SUN at the time had never apologized or retracted these statements.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2009/apr/15/hillsborough-disaster-sundaytimes

1. Rentaguru

as I said

Those reports were based on leaks from SYP which were designed to provide cover for the fact a number of police had been boasting about what they had stolen from the dead and injured.

As to whether the sometime Chief Constable of Merseyside and current chief constable of West Yorkshire* was the person who leaked I don't know but I do know he was consulted about whether to shred the evidence withheld from the first enquiry by the SYP solicitors.

Some blame goes to the Sun for publishing the reports but it was police doing the nickage and the police covering up that and the rest of the mess.

*who incidently annoys me by claiming to the oxford educated when he took his first degree at Sheffield Poly and only took some poxy unfailable civil service masters (designed to make sure the peasants at least know how to hold a knife and fork) at Oxford.

9. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@Waste of public money

Like these air accident investigations, why bother dragging up aircraft from the bottom of the ocean - the people are dead.

I mean it's not like you can learn any lessons for how to do things in the future from what happened in the past.

10. Patrick Finch

ex-pats are citizens and can vote

Article appears to conflate ex-pats with non-UK citizens. I am a UK citizen and ex-pat and I lost a friend to the tragedy: I was able to sign the petition.

@AC "let the dead lie in peace" - I trust they do, but the living, it's a different story. How would you feel if you sent your 14 year-old son to a football match and he never returned, and the course of events that afternoon became a subject of much conjecture? You'd surely want to know what happened.

I don't think such a desire is a matter for flippancy, nor do I think it's about for retribution (as you seem to) - after all, what redress could be made? It's about finally being able to say goodbye, after 22 years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like