Feeds

back to article AMD gooses low-power Fusion chips

AMD has beefed up its low-end lines of its Fusion CPU/GPU-combo processors, parts that the company insists on calling "accelerated processing units", or APUs. "With these new APUs, we're bringing premium features to entry-level products that let users get a richer computing experience," AMD client-division general manager Chris …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

And Intel??

Intel has been around since 1968.. Great CPU units, but they still can't get a graphics core together? What's going on there Intel?? Didn't steal enough tech from Fairchild????

Happy

I'll ammend..

Intel has been around since 1968.. Great CPU units, but they still can't get do decent graphics.

See could of stopped there.

Headmaster

«CPU/GPU-combo processors,

parts that the company insists on calling "accelerated processing units", or APUs.» Insists and insists, Rik - surely even you can see that «APU» is a much more concise and economical term for these units than «CPU/GPU-combo processors» ? Extends battery life, donchaknow ?...

Henri

Bronze badge

Battery life

I added a lower-spec 64GB SSD into my cheap-o Lenovo x120e with its E-350. On the extended battery I get an easy 7 hours of browsing with WiFi, and it has no problems running a couple office apps along with a couple browser tabs and some music and IM apps in the background simultaneously, extremely usable. On a recent 3.5 hour flight, my son was able to watch 2 full-length movies back-to-back (a godsend, tbh) and there was still enough juice left for me to check email when we were killing time at baggage claim.

They aren't overwhelmingly powerful, nor are they "good" gaming rigs, but for basic productivity/media playback needs, this new tech from AMD is actually entirely usable and very energy efficient.

Thumb Up

AMD E series - what the atom should have been

Finally you can buy a cheap second or third machine that runs cool and has a big screen. The AMD E is not quick by modern standards, but unlike the Atom, it is not a complete dog. And unlike Atom it comes with no mafia-imposed form factor restrictions.

This topic is closed for new posts.