China Mobile has 7.44 million iPhones on its network, despite not selling them or even offering a 3G network, so there's huge potential if it can get the iPhone 4 speaking Chinese. And that is the plan, according to China Mobile's chairman, who told investors that he had met with Steve Jobs to talk about an iPhone 4 model …
Having worked on a couple similar things, I'd say that this is a huge opportunity for Apple but with huge steps to overcome as well. If they bring this operation in-house, it will tie up a lot of resources who might be of more use elsewhere and it might not work well unless those resources know China well. If they farm it out, will it still be of the kind of quality Apple is known for? Tricky.
At the risk of sounding like a proper nerd, I object to the neologisms used in the header and subtitle of the article. While glad to see liberal use of English on The Reg, it is generally done with taste. "Flava" and "mobe" hardly fall in that category.
it'll be more interesting
to see what happens when the government demand the removal of an app from the app store
"official distributer in China is Chain Unicorn"
They have unicorns in china now?
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Tor attack nodes RIPPED MASKS off users for 6 MONTHS