Feeds

back to article Fort Knox military cops disgusted with solar patrol carts

US military police stationed at Fort Knox, home among other things to the United States Bullion Depository, are reportedly none too pleased at having to patrol in rather feeble solar-powered electric golf carts in line with Pentagon efforts to be more environmentally friendly. The solar powered patrol vehicle employed by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Boffin

How much did they cost?

My bet, over $100k each.

Mushroom

@AC 12:31 GMT

Probably not quite as much. I'd rather be worried about the more than $300 bn worth of gold in the hand of the army...

Devil

Why?

Capitol hill decided to pay their salaries after all. I would be worried if the credit ceiling negotiations actually fall through for real.

Stop

Stop whining, you cry-babies!

As my Mum used to say when I complained about something I thought made me look "un-cool", "Tough! Use it or go without, it's your choice!".

Facepalm

solar power?

"That's not helpful," he notes, adding: "If you have to plug it in, it's really not that green, is it?"

Nail on the fucking head there, Bob

Silver badge
IT Angle

Wrong

A plug in cart can still be green - it depends where the grids leccy is coming from.

In Kentucky

It's mostly coal.

Thumb Up

Downvoters?

Sometimes I seriously wonder about people? Exactly which part of the truth in the above post do they object to? Upvoted to cancel out at least one of the tools.

why....

does this give me an image in my mind that the gold is being guarded by characters like "the Simpsons" Chief Wiggum...

Devil

I hope...

...the gaurd dogs have been sung off tune to for a loooooong time...good work boys!!!

Silver badge
Devil

It could be worse...

... they could have been given Segways!

Bronze badge
Go

Helmet solar panels

Helmet solar panels could be the next big thing in fashion!

WTF?

title

"Helmet solar panels could be the next big thing in fashion!"

The mind boggles

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Headmaster

Errrm

http://news.anu.edu.au/?p=10551

Paris Hilton

Note to Auric Goldfinger

Attack on a cloudy day.

Paris, AKA Ms Galore

Thumb Up

> United States Mint Police, who are equipped with bicycles

They are also equipped with a handy army base complete with soldiers, guns and helicopters etc.

I don't imagine they are going to have a problem with looters any time soon.

Mushroom

But....

What about Pussy Galore's flying circus, with nerve gas equipped cessna's?

Or as Sean Connery would say "Poosey"

Made short work of them in Goldfinger (or not , thinking back)!

Mushroom

MANPADS

With an infantry division and an additional infantry combat team, not to mention an aviation regiment (read: Helicopters, including gunships), there is more than enough anti-air capacity on the base to turn Pussy Galore's friends and family into so much gold-plated airborn particulate matter (though that might lower the air quality some, and thus be considered 'not green').

Really, now - If there's a serious problem, the MPs (not members of parliment!) can call on the services of a metric fuckton of Bradely IFVs. There are few high-speed pursuit problems that cannot be solved by a steady tradewind of cannon fire.

Black Helicopters

but no tanks

Well, not as many tanks, The armor school and the Patton Museum were moved to Georgia.

Meh

Gold

Great! So the Federal government of the United States is going all 'environmentally friendly' by introducing this cart.

So what about all the energy used to extract and refine that 5,000 tons of gold. Which apparently is roughly 2.5% of all the gold ever refined throughout human history. Just to store it in a building for 70+ years doing nothing. Citiziens aren't even allowed to view it, to see how shiny it is!

Anonymous Coward

Citizens aren't allowed to view

because it isn't really there - at least not the massive quantity purported to be there.

well... that's what the alien mind-control rays tell me anyway. Really must get a new liner for me tin-foil hat.

Sunk costs

The extraction, refinement, and process costs are sunk costs, and no longer current. You may safely proceed to ignore them.

'Teh shiny' isn't 'all that,' anyway. A visit to a typical gold souk is more interesting by far.

M7S
Bronze badge
Coat

United States Mint Police

Presumably, if there's a raid, none of then want to have the nickname "Polo"

brilliant

You my friend are a genius.

Army Green - Army Strong?

Sound like something the Hulk would say.

Top speed of 25mph, nice. What if they have to use it to carry a pallet of Gold from Here to there? What is the Top speed then?

The gold don't move much

And the military police would have no part of it, even if it *did* move - They mostly just write tickets and patrol fencelines.

The gold just sits there in the vaults. Sometimes technical ownership of some portions of it changes hands, but the gold itself just collects dust.

Angel

Electric Bikes...

I hope they have a big fence around the whole place.

This week, I rode my electric bike into a golf course, and the guard started chasing me around in a golf cart. Very funny, comic in a way. The thing is... my electric bike, at 20mph, is a LOT faster than his electric golf cart. He never got close to me.

Hmmm

Unlike most police, overmatched solar-kart-driving cops and bicycle-riding Mint Police can call on the 16th Cavalry Regiment and 194th Armored Brigade conveniently based nearby and probably more than willing to help chase down any serious gold thieves. They have vehicles of an entirely different sort of green.

Silver badge

And not forgetting

You won't get pussy galore driving one of these things around

Bronze badge

5000 "tons"?

Long tons? Short tons? Metric tons?

How much is that in standard units (I.e. Elephants)?

It's approximately one Fort Knox

See title.

Let me google that for you

From wikipedia: 4578 metric tons. (5046 tons, 147.2 million troy ounces.)

Approximately 2.5% of all the gold ever refined throughout human history.

Second in size to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in Manhattan, which has 7000 metric tons. (7716 tons, 225.1 million troy ounces.)

Silver badge

Damn Pedants.

comment or post needed here.

Bronze badge

Manhatten, huh?

Didn't Hans' brother steal that in 'Live Free or Die"? w/Bruce Willis?

;)

Holmes

Tip to make it lighter thus greener.

You don't need a wind screen at 25 mph, sunglasses will do.

Happy

Windscreen

it's not to protect them from wind blast; it's to prevent decapitation by flying frisbee death hats.

wind screen

It can get a bit frosty there. Enclosed cabins are recommended for winter patrols.

Facepalm

Battery life

And what is the expected battery life once you crank up the 'leccy heater for said enclosed cabin?

Never mind the heater

Sun don't show so much in the winter.

Figure that body heat alone will do the trick - so long as you can keep the warm from blowing away. That, plus a few flasks of hot coffee.

Happy

Bob Knoll

What's the betting his nickname is "Grassy"?

Bronze badge

Mint Police?

The US Mints are in Denver and Philadelphia, and that I know of, the US hasn't minted gold in nearly a century. The Mint in Denver used to have rolls of less valuable metals stored in public view behind chain link topped with barbed wire. As i recall it, the property really didn't call for a bicycle to get around.

FAIL

You're forgetting San Fran and Westpoint

The gold coins – Eagles – are minted at Westpoint.

Silver badge

Mint Police

\what no Chocolate cops?

25 mins?

It doesn't seem to be beyond the wit of golf buggy manufacturers to make electric buggies that last for 4 hours+ rounds of golf. Are these ones weighed down by heavy weapons?

Devil

25 mins is enough

..why do you need to go on for hours?

Golfers buggies take long pauses between short drives in order to hit the balls, so they're not going at it continuously for 4 hours....

I could go on, but Sarah Bee isn't around anymore to make a snarky comment about the innuendo... :-(

Joke

Can be used as a stretcher carrier?

I'm looking at the pics, and the first thing I think is:

"There's no way you'll fit the average american on the back of that..."

On the plus side, I see the cabin is likely to be proofed against flying, decapitating hats.

Joke

says the drop out from 'You are what you eat.'

Yup, I'm joking too. Are you laughing?

"There's no way you'll fit the average american on the back of that..."

Stretcher goes cross-wise.

Really, they're more of an oversized ATV with extra crap strapped on, than a proper golfcart.

Silver badge

@25 mins

They have to carry the weight of two US cops and have AC

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.