VeloBit is a software startup with unique caching software algorithms technology that appears to be better than that of any of its rivals. It was introduced at the Flash Memory Summit, where VeloBit CEO and co-founder Duncan McCallum revealed his company had gained an undisclosed amount of A-round venture capital funding. He …
So reading between the lines, the killer features of their software are:
1) Using LZO compression to increase cache storage efficiency (since on a current generation of CPUs LZO can decompress faster than even most SSDs can provide the data)
2) Block level deduplication within the cache
Good and interesting stuff. I'd be curious to see how this compares to ZFS which can also do both of these implicitly if you enable deduplication and compression on the volume, and it can use SSDs for caching (L2ARC).
Smart reads write?
I wonder if the optimisation also includes partial disk read/writes?
Are they using a temporal anomaly :)
... presentation given at the 20010 International Conference .... titled A New Buffer Cache Design Exploiting both Temporal and Content Localities.
Their software is so fast it created a temperal anomaly that put them into 20010. Is that how its so fast, it creates one, which allows it to know exactly what will be needed in the future and cache every request :)
SSD starting to find a real home?
This company is leading the way on treating SSD as something other than a fast disk drive. With a different mindset, there are better ways to access flash than the overhead of a file system and storage protocol.
If the acceleration is compared with running in DRAM, I expect the DRAM would win all hands down. If part of the cache were held in a DRAM partition, the combination of the two caches and this software might well exceed the numbers by a large factor.
I assume the annotations "MB" in the chart are an unintentional slip. Must have been a marketing chart!
- Asteroids as powerful as NUCLEAR BOMBS hit Earth TWICE YEARLY
- Review Ubuntu 14.04 LTS: Great changes, but sssh don't mention the...
- Vid CEO Tim Cook sweeps Apple's inconvenient truths under a solar panel
- Got Windows 8.1 Update yet? Get ready for YET ANOTHER ONE – rumor
- HTC mulls swoop for Nokia's MASSIVE Chennai plant