back to article Groupon sees surge in subscribers, scrubs contentious fiscal metric

Daily deals website Groupon is reportedly set to jack in a controversial accounting metric that it previously considered to be a good way to measure how well the company was performing. According to All Things Digital, which cites sources close to the matter, Groupon will tweak its S-1 public offering filing to scrub out a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 110

Insane valuation

Theres very little barrier to entry. I'm already a member of two of these things and am considering cancelling both as they are very spammy and if you actually take a good hard look at the deals they aren't necessarily that good.

I just don't see it as a sustainably highly profitable in the long term. Its new so getting lots of subscribers and sales but competition will drive the profit margins down to next to nothing (not that they turning a profit yet anyway).

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Valuations

Unless the Federal Reserve pumps more money into the market then I would suggest that all bets regarding the current crop of tech bubble companies are off.

3. DrXym

Watch the stock take a nose dive

Groupon is a ridiculous proposition from the get go. If reports are true, they're leaving a trail of angry businesses in their wake, moving cash through the back door to satisfy investors, and burning through the rest like nobody's business. It's not even like what they offer is unique or not done by hundreds of other sites. At some point word of mouth will be so bad amongst businesses that the only groupons they'll be selling will be for fish foot massages and little else. When the deals go, so will the people buying them.

Then the hold wobbling hyperexpanded edifice will come crashing down. The IPO investors will be the ones who get burnt. The original investors will have taken the money and run.

1. elsonroa
      Flame

We'll all end up paying for it (again).

In the current climate, I can't see any sane IPO investors wanting to buy into the likes of Groupon and Zynga - so the ones who stand to get burned most are probably the underwriters. Do a quick search for 'groupon underwriters' and 'zynga underwriters' for a list of the banks we'll all have to be bailing out next time.

1. DrXym

Depends

I expect the idea for the underwriter is they shift their stock before the whole thing collapses. I wouldn't expect Groupon to flop instantly but I do expect it to flop long term. I believe there is too much competition and bad press for them to survive the way they're going.

4. Tom 38
    WTF?

I don't believe that

$6bn? And they turned it down?

Crazy. They may be 'first to market' in their sector, but this sort of thing is easily applicable to any network of people, so they must be hugely sensitive to a Facebook or G+ version of this.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like