Steve Scott, the long-time chief technology officer at supercomputer maker Cray, gave his two weeks' notice last week. Actually, it was more like 11 days, which is not exactly a lot of warning for a company like Cray. But it looks like Scott was presented with an offer he just could not pass up, and tongues are wagging about …
Cray Computer Corporation
It's true CCC ended up mainly doing research, but only because they failed to sell any computers. CCC was formed so that Seymour could continue working on the Cray-3, which had been canned by CRI in favour of the C90. Unfortunately, nobody was willing to buy one before they ran out of money.
Laptops with 10 Teraflops
The Reg's recent story of AMD promising 10 teraflop laptops seems a bit closer to reality if Scott is headed to AMD.
My vote is Scott as AMD's new CEO.
@Laptops with 10 Teraflops
That would also be my bet.
AMD is having some trouble hiring a big name CEO, so is logical they might just get an engineering tech guy and promote it. It might be risky, but gambling like this might also pay good dividends in case his "brilliance" extends beyond the tech areas.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Tor attack nodes RIPPED MASKS off users for 6 MONTHS