Feeds

back to article Caltech sends light on a one-way trip

A group of Caltech researchers is claiming what it describes as a key breakthrough in photonic computing: an optical diode using linear, rather than non-linear, materials. The diode – or rather, components that mimic the function of the diode in the optical domain – is important to optical computing, because it helps isolate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

hmmmmm

At first i thought "wow thats clever" then i got all confused when i realised that one way mirrors / windows have been doing the same thing for a lot longer.

I realise that process is probably completly different but hmmmmmm physics has never been my strong point :)

Silver badge

@one way mirrors

Actually, most one way mirrors work considerably different. They just are mirrors with a bit of transmission going on. So essentially they are slightly transparent mirrors. If the other side is much darker than the side you are on, they look the same as normal mirrors. However if you had a high dynamic range camera and would simply substract the much brighter reflection, you'd see through the mirror to the other side.

Go

When will we see the first...

... full-fledged, Star-Trekkin...-Across-the-Universe, Isolinear Optical Chip?

This topic is closed for new posts.