Feeds

back to article Mr Bean prangs £650k McLaren

Blackadder star Rowan Atkinson narrowly "cheated death" last night after pranging his £650k McLaren F1, and crawling from the supercar's burning wreckage. That's more or less the Daily Mail's version of what happened on the A605 at Haddon, near Peterborough, when Mr Bean wrapped his expensive motor round a tree and a signpost. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Are you sure?

Didn't he trash a Mini while bumping a Reliant Robin?

Nononono...

A tank crushed it, remember?

Bronze badge

Mail Fail

Usual Daily Mail sensationalist rubbish. According to the local fire brigade there was a minor fire after the accident from which Mr Atkinson walked away. How do you get from that to the Mail's report? As usual, lazy journalism coupled with a desire to believe the worst in every story.

When they heard the story they *could* have picked up the phone and checked a few facts with the authorities, or they could have fleshed out their few bare facts with some sensationalist nonsense. Which would the Fail normally choose?

Joke

good news is

that it cures cancer though :-D

FAIL

"We're sorry but reader comments are currently unavailable"

So how many of those comments do you think were taking the Faily Fail to task for being sensationalist idiots and writing a headline which is almost completely unlike what actually happened?

Happy

@ good news

...bad news. Burning carbon fibre is nasty stuff. Causes cancer (probably), doesn't prevent it.

Sorry - forgot we were talking in 'Daily Fail'...

"Burning Carbon Fibre threat to humanity...Mr Bean causes lifespans shorten over the globe, and 'NHS over-stretched' outcry! Government unprepared for toxic carbon fibre death cloud!"

Silver badge
Joke

or even

hacked beans phone to get the real deal!

HHOS

Bronze badge
Flame

Sensationalist?

You don't need to rely on the Mail's description, just look at the photos - assuming they are not faked, and I doubt even the Mail would do that.

The fact is, from the pictures and that he was hospitalised, this was a serious crash. Any one who goes off the road and hits lamposts has "cheated death" in that there has been a significant chance of death. Whether or not there was any fire afterwards does not alter this fact.

Anyone whose car leaves the road with no other vehicle involved is at fault, unless the cause is a mechanical failure or oil on the road.

Sounds to me that this idiot was going too fast, or maybe using his mobile, and thereby endangering others that might have been you or me. I hope that if this established he is done for dangerous driving.

I like to think he was sat on the roof

I reckon he was sat on the roof, steering with a rope and using a broom to work the pedals which subsequently got stuck, leaving him to roll down a hill.

Meh

Not £650k....

... for a long time, worth a lot more then that now.

Re. Not £650k....

Aye, the last one publicly for sale (AFAIK) went for £2.53m in 2008.

Why can't my car depreciate like that?

Silver badge

true...

But on top gear the other day he admitted to having put 37,000 miles on it!

quite long in the tooth for a thoroughbred

Thumb Up

37,000 miles?

Good on 'im I say...why buy one of the best cars on the planet, and never use it?

Good to see he was properly exploring the performance too - that's not a small "off".

Mushroom

Ouch

That's not going to polish out.

<== Icon for Daily Mail visualisation purposes.

Go

2011 Ford Focus

now that's supposed to be a nice safe car.

Facepalm

Ford Fungus

Focus vs Maclaren...Focus vs Maclaren..."nice" vs "f* me, that's f*ing awesome"....hmmm, it's tricky alright. <rolls eyes>

No, not tricky at all...

If I got me a mclaren, I'd sell it and buy a ford focus (or something like it anyways).

Silver badge
Coat

buy a REALISTIC car (well pay mine off, anyway)

and pay off my remaining debt. Mine's the one with the slowly dissipating loan account summery in the pocket.

Stop

null

I am fed up of hearing the media refer to it as Formula 1 car.. just because it has F1 in it's name.

I have an F1 key in this keyboard, does that mean this notebook is a Lenovo Formula 1 Notebook?

Ru

Yes.

We eagerly await tales of battery failure followed by you crawling away from its burning wreckage.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

KERS keyboard

I like the concept! Little pizo-electric crystals under the keys recovering the energy needed to power the keyboard as you type. Far cooler than drawing current through the USB port. But I bet it affects the (Control-)Break balance, though.

Thumb Up

Update

After further examination of the pics, I'd wager that's a write off.

Especially given the whole rear end of the car is missing, and it won't have contained a spare wheel and some golf clubs. Which reminds me...the engine bay is gold insulated innit? ...where did he crash? I might have to go "assist with the recovery".

Silver badge
Joke

coo!

that notebook must be pretty fast

Anonymous Coward

Wow!

Doesthisworkwithmyspacesaverkeyboard?

Mushroom

@Ru

He said it's a Lenovo laptop, not a Sony...

It is F1

What makes McLaren special is, it has formula 1 class technology but it is also ordinarily used on road. For example, you don't throw away motor after one day.

Of course, there are cars in its league now but McLaren was the first.

(revenge of car analogy)

It is like having a Cray or a mainframe in your house with ordinary power and cooling.

MJI
Silver badge

I hope they can repair it

Otherwise RIP McClaren

Boffin

Carbon Fibre

It's carbon, so unless the subframes are removeable (allowing a partial repair, if the main tub is undamaged) it's cream-crackered. Carbon tends to splinter, rather than deform. The laminated version (which this is) also doesn't respond well to heat.

Happy

It looks fixable to me

I think there have been 6 write-offs of McLaren F1 chassis in total, and only 4 of those were proper road going versions, and then fairly serious accidents to boot. Even if it cost 100K to fix on a car worth 2.5 mil I think it counts a 'polishing out'

Thumb Up

at that price

they'll repair it; it would be virtually impossible to write one off

Cruddy tabloid journalism

The Times has a photo of the damage, and there is no evidence of fire at all visible. Although I can confirm the sentiment above - it's definitely not going to buff out. Most of the front left wing is ripped off.

Actually, I'm trying to work out how hitting a lamppost with the front left wing of a car whose engine and fuel tank are both mounted behind the driver's seat could ever have resulted in a fire?

And as for it being a "miracle" that RA got out - the F1 was the first car ever to pass MIRA's frontal impact into a concrete block test and still be driveable afterwards. Gordon Murray was so confident in the structural integrity of the carbonfibre tub that he wanted to sit in it while the test was being carried out...

Interestingly, both the Times and the Torygraph mention RA's Ford Falcon racing car, and both misspell it the same way...

Mushroom

This will only mean anything to WoT players.

"Actually, I'm trying to work out how hitting a lamppost with the front left wing of a car whose engine and fuel tank are both mounted behind the driver's seat could ever have resulted in a fire?"

His car was a special 'World of Tanks' version.

Or, he was smoking a pipe and had a lap full of vintage cellulose ping pong balls at the time of the crash. If anyone wants to lend me an F1, I'll happily attempt to reproduce this accident and fire though.

Bronze badge

Fire

"Actually, I'm trying to work out how hitting a lamppost with the front left wing of a car whose engine and fuel tank are both mounted behind the driver's seat could ever have resulted in a fire?"

Nobody seems to be saying the impact caused the fire. Maybe the fire caused the accident or maybe a failure caused both the fire and the accident.

Even so you'd be surprised what can cause fires in cars like that. An oil spillage on the exhaust manifold might be enough to ignite the oil. If there's enough flamable material close to such a minor fire this can start a larger fire. Murray always claimed that he used a normally aspirated engine because it was more controllable than a turbo charged engine, but there are those who suggest he couldn't contain the heat successfully with the big engine in such a small engine compartment. And with a carbon fibre body and tub he really needed to contain all that heat, turbos would have made it impossible.

Anonymous Coward

re; hot laps

After Atkinson beating Tom cruise round the top gear track, it's possible to say

Johnny English is faster than Nathan Hunt...

but not as bizarre as thinking... Mr Bean is faster than Days of Thunder's Cole Trickle.

Was Rowan brushing his teeth or changing his trousers when the recent prang occurred?

neither

He was steering from his new sofa on the roof!

null

ETHAN hunt....

Bronze badge

A reasonably priced prang...

Topping the Top Gear celebrity lap time table must have gone to his head. Stick to the Kia Cee'd Rowan. At least the crashes will be cheaper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8683504/Rowan-Atkinson-Mr-Bean-star-leads-Top-Gears-celebrity-lap-table.html

Flame

Clearly...

Clearly this is all part of one of Bladwicks cunning plans...

Anonymous Coward

The stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick insect got caught on a sticky bun?

Luckily, he escaped! Added a good couple of hours to my journey home yesterday though...

Worse than it looks...

In the second link above -- there is no back half of the car. It's more than just a spin off the road and a tap into a sign and some thick brush..

Holmes

Bean....

...there done that

Facepalm

Nathan Hunt?

Perhaps you mean his brother Ethan?

Coat

Actually, I heard that...

Their brother Mike was faster.

IGMC

Gold badge
Coat

Re: Nathan Hunt?

Nah, this is Tom Cruise we're talking about and as he's a Scientologist, he must be a Gareth.....

Bronze badge

RE: bunch of Hunts

I cannot resist, under the circumstances, mentioning James while we're at it. McLaren man at one time...

Also, if you've ever heard a Mission Impossible movie dubbed in Spanish, you'll know that there's no need for rhyming slang where Mr Cruise's character is concerned ;)

Anonymous Coward

Blackadder Goes Second

I'm sure I read years ago that Atkinson had crashed a sports car, possibly even written it off. It may even have been another McLaren. Does anyone else remember this?

How curious that a person should buy an expensive sports car capable of giving F1 racers a run for their money and then exceed the speed limit...

Headmaster

Deja vu...

I also remember reading that he'd written of a McLaren F1 a few years back. By a few, I mean at least 8 or 9. I vaguely remember still being in school....

Bronze badge

He did

Search Mr Bean Crash and it was the first newspost

FAIL

I too remember, oh, wait...

Would that be the crash of the same car that is referred to in the Reg's article? Despite what the tabloids have to say, Reg journalists 1, readers 0.

The Sun is blocked by work's firewall, but in the other images it doesn't look that bad. It was wet yesterday - it may just have been an accident, or for all we know it crashed while avoiding someone in a white van coming the other way on the wrong side of the road. I'll be interested to know if Rowan explains for those of us who can only dream of owning one of these (and kudos if he admits it was just his fault).

I hope it's not a write-off, though - some vehicles are classics. I work not far from where some cretin managed to write off a (hired) Veyron a few years ago.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Blackadder goes many-fold

It seems he crashes a high performance sports car every few years, whilst the rest of us would get banned after the first:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/485692.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1430754.stm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641298233

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.