Almost 30,000 Scottish students got their Higher results this afternoon, instead of tomorrow morning as it should have been, potentially giving them early access to the university clearing system. The results were sent out – by accident – to anyone who had selected text-only notification, but have been confirmed as accurate by …
What's the point in that? How are you and your peers going to go to the pub straight afterwards?
In my day most people had a rough idea how they had done because they woke up to find an accept/reject letter from their university of choice on the day they were supposed to pick up their results.
...that doesn't happen anymore, because Royal mail takes at least a month to get that letter to you now!
You also get a results letter.
You still get these exam results in the post. You also could optionally subscribe to get them by text message, which was released earlier than intended, or by e-mail, which wasn't. If you're away on holiday, for instance. Your school has the results information, too.
What remedial action ?
"short and sharp remedial action"
What can they do ? They can't un-send the texts.
All that can happen, at best, is that the SQA can get a discount for the cock-up.
Attendance at WOMAD: 30k
Population of Inverness: 56k
That is all.
doesn't the population include the 30k at WOMAD?
The SQA is a bloody joke.
They should all be sacked and forced to apply for their jobs on merit. None of them would get re-employed.
One only has to look at the farce that is Curriculum for Excellence to see that they are clueless and dangerously incompetent with our youngsters' futures!
You do know that Curriculum for Excellence is driven by the Scottish Government and not the SQA?
The SQA are simply told to make changes to their courses and exams whenever the Government decides that it wants to shake things up.
The only thing clueless and dangerously incompetent seems to be your views on this particular matter.
Not at all - the high-level approach is given but the SQA is ultimately responsible for execution. Perhaps you should go and do some research before posting such drivel.
I'm guessing you're one of the pathetic losers that works for the SQA and are trying desperately to deflect the correctly targeted frustration away. Given such ignorance, I wouldn't be surprised.
The SQA IS incompetent - this and previous years disasters have proved this to be correct.
I've yet to see anything good come out of the SQA but I would love to be corrected on this matter......
So correct me - show me what value the SQA bring.
Another SQA screwup today! Wrong results for a number of higher's candidates.
Yeah that's real competence.....
Text message ?
"TripSci D Eng Lit C Math E
U Fail. lol. SQA"
"Universities around the country are oversubscribed this year"
Ohm trying to outstudy the recession, are we?
That's not gonna work. It will still be there in five years' time.
Well, I just hope people do some hard science stuff, not that financial, economy, sociology or homeopathy crap.
Exam results early?
<-- see icon.
Not the first f* up the education system has made; anyone remember the fiasco of unanswerable questions of recently?
Is this supposed to be related to education?......
"Inverness is rural, more people attend WOMAD than live in the "city""
1. Like it or not, Inverness is an officially-designated city
2. For those who are cerebrally-challenged and incapable of reading a map, it's the capital of and service centre for an area that's larger than Belgium. In such a situation, common enough in many countries, it has the facilities of a city with a much larger population than those who live within the city limits
3. It's actually the fastest-growing city in Europe
4. The University of the Highlands and Islands is based in Inverness but many of its facilities are scattered around the Highlands and Islands, hundreds of miles apart and some of them in areas which are actually rural.
5. How many people live in the "City of London" as opposed to the city of London?
6. Never heard of WOMAD until today. I guess one should have expected some idiot writing on "education" to be incapable of avoiding the use of some initialism, acronym or other impenetrable piece of non-communication
Paris, because even she's not quite that thick.
inverness fanboi needs education
> It's actually the fastest-growing city in Europe
got any objective data or studies to back that up? a press release from inverness council or some bagpipe enterprise quango doesn't count. and what growth are you talking about? population? average income? economic actvitity? substance misuse? crime?
even if some metrics for inverness are growing at a higher rate than elsewere, it's the absolute numbers that matter, not the relative ones. a common lie with statistics is to report relative figures to make them seem a lot more significant than they really are. eg reports that something doubles the risk of cancer (say) but doesn't mention the rate increases from 1 in a million to 2 in a million. inverness is so small that adding a few hundred people to the population is a big (relative) increase that wouldn't be a noticeable blip in a real city.
even the delightful but not very clever paris knows this.
Slagging someone for being an "inverness fanboi". For a start it's got a capital letter, fuckwit. And more to the point, how fucking sad are you? Seriously, fuck off, it's like you that make reading this site fucking unbearable.
Name and Shame!
'SQA says it is "making enquiries with our external contractor, who issues the results on our behalf, in order to understand how this could have happened".'
1. So who was the external contractor?
2. What instructions were given to the contractor?
3. How did these instructions differ from those given last year, when early issue was allegedly required?
4. What sanctions were built into the contract?
5. Who carries the can?
Google "Inverness population" and it comes up with a best guess of 6789.
This apparently was the population of Inverness, Florida in 2000, admittedly, and, even then, it looks like some one just ran their finger along a row of the keyboard.
...and the problem is? Results a day early which affects..... no-one...provides no advantage and does what it says on the tin which is provide the information quicker. This simply proves they CAN provide the information a day early so why didn't they plan to do that in the first place instead of stressing out a bunch of teens. Really calm down dear, this wasn't, restricted, personal, private information released to the public.
If I was paid a day early would there be a problem... NO.. Get a grip Moaners.
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES on 24 July
- Pics It's Google HQ - the British one: Reg man snaps covert shots INSIDE London offices
- The END of the FONDLESLAB KINGS? Apple and Samsung have reason to FEAR
- White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!
- Put down that Oracle database patch: It could cost $23,000 per CPU