back to article iCloud.com goes live

Ahead of its official launch, Apple has lifted the lid on the beta of its iCloud service, with the www.iCloud.com website going live. The site gives us an idea of the look-and-feel of the coming iCloud service – pretty much a rerun of the near-end-of-life MobileMe and Me.com services – and a look at the likely inclusions. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trib

I've had this for 8 months now....

You only have to pay for the extra storage right?

With Windows Phone 7, you get 25GB of Skydrive for free, with calendar, mail, contacts and Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) and the phone location/lock/wipe tools all for free. You don't even need a Windows Phone to use any of those services, just sign up, (even on a Mac).

Plus auto uploading of your pictures, and they won't delete them after 30 days. Any they have shown that with the Windows Phone Mango update you will be able to stream music from Skydrive.

Sounds like I've had iCloud for the past 8 months. Yes, I know there is more to it with APIs, but for what is offered in the base package, this solution already exists, just not on iPhone (yet).

1. Craigness

Noobie

Some have had this for years. And have had decent looking web apps, which are happy to be web apps and don't think they need to resemble real-world items. But to read the comments on news reports of this, you'd think Apple had just invented sliced bread.

I've not had a desktop email client since 2006.

2. pcsupport
    Thumb Down

Forced upgrade required?

Dear Apple,

Take all of the stupid IOS crap out of your latest computer operating system and return it to a PROPER computer operating system and then yes I will then upgrade to Lion so that I can access your iCloud service.

Until then you'd better learn to whistle….

Maybe it's time to find another data / service provider (but NOT do-lots-of-evil-google)!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@pcsupport

Theres nothing in Lion that you are forced in any way to use thats come from IOS so I'm not sure what you're moaning about exactly? You don't have to use launchpad (I don't) or mission control (I do, its pretty good). The gestures are all optional and controllable and frankly pretty flippin useful. Apart from that whats your issue? Or are you simply yet another Troll?

Not sure what you consider a "PROPER" computer operating system is? There isn't one single OS out there at the moment that I can think of that could be considered a REAL OS as they are pretty much all jam packed full of features that have bugger all to do with an OS. Sure some Linux geek will correct me

3. MarkBeee
    Unhappy

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Might be worth noting in the article that it is currently only available for those with an Apple developer account ...

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Thrown together as usual

"Your browser isn't supported. Try the latest version of ... Internet Explorer"

Yeah, Opera 11.5 just sucks at all the modern stuff but IE leads the way! I guess things can only get better?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Absolutely - thrown together is right ...

BUT I got it to work by asking Opera to identify itself as Firefox (right-click in an empty space on the page, select "Edit site preferences", "Network", "Browser identification").

No problem. Worked fine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Find and replace MobileMe with iCloud

The terms of service & help still point to MobileMe

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Pricing?

What about the pricing for UK users?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Indeed

...could have sworn it was theregister.co.uk, not theregister.au...

1. MikeSM
        FAIL

I'm guessing you came here from the RSS feed?

Remember a few months ago El Reg announced expanded coverage for down under..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/28/reg_aussie_ops/

I believe Richard Chirgwin covers the Ozzie bureau.

Here's the UK version of the story:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/02/icloud_prices/

7. TReko

Expensive!

Google sells extra storage too. 20GB costs $5 per year vs Apple's $40.

Add in Gmail, Google Docs, Calendar, use something like syncdocs.com to do the file sync, and you have the iCloud already, working at 15% of the cost. No Apple prettiness, though.

8. Fab De Marco
    Facepalm

Rejoice for this changes everything... yet again

Wow!!!! Now Apple have invented this... what do you call it..... cloud computing?! Masterfull! Genius! Now we will just sit and wait for everyone else to make their inferior versions of it... Oh wait they have been doing it for years... Oh.....

Nevermind the iSheep will claim this as Apples' invention and herald it a masterpiece. In the same way that before the iPhone we were all using tin cans and pieces of string to communicate.

In all seriousness. The Apple marketing machine truly is formidable. People will eat this up without realising that they could have been doing it for years on other platforms.

Now I will return to my miserable existance whereby all my bread is cold and soft.... If only someone would invent the iToaster

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Laziness

Pah - if you're going to troll the fanbois, at least make the effort to come up with some original tauntage, rather than cutting and pasting rants and phrases ("isheep"?) from 2005...

9. deadlockvictim
    Alert

Rainy Days & Eggs

Warning: here be a mixing of metaphors! (the best way to serve them):

Is what happens to clouds on rainy days a prudent warning to keeping all of my eggs in one basket?

Or will it never rain again?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like