back to article Dual File Manager XT

The Android Market is awash with good file managers, so a newcomer really has to cut the mustard to be worthy of recommendation. In this instance, I think the new Dual XT app slices the Coleman’s to perfection. Dual File Manager XT   Dual File Manager XT List view on left side and thumbnail view on right What separates it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Owen Carter
    Thumb Up

Network support?

SMB and/or SFTP support would be sweet; some file managers on Android have this already but I don't know of any with a split view.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Ghost Commander...

...has a split-screen view and SMB support (via the seperately installed SMB plugin). Some of its UI elements are a bit small for comfort on my Desire S screen though, even with the "Finger friendly" option enabled, so I might have to give this one a try

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Ghost Commander much better than this recommendation

Dual File Manager XT is not unique. "What separates it from the rest of the file manager herd is its rather cunning dual-screen layout."

Ghost Commander has everything that this recommendation has and also the "root:" (su - super user) mode that is essential to work with system files on a rooted phone, change file permissions, attributes, and execute your own shell commands. Plus, its "mount:" mode allows you to browse and remount the file system's partitions. Essential if you need to change a system file, although that could also be done within a terminal emulator if you can remember the Busybox syntax.

Without root access Dual File Manager XT seems a waste of space to me. Two other considerations are relevant.

If you are using Titanium Backup your system and apps files are backed up. Moving other non-system files and folders around seems easy enough to me with Android stock filers, they are designed to work with SD card folders and files. If you accidentally delete eg an mp3, you can restore by using an SD undelete app.

But also on a rooted Android it's simply easier to use a USB connection with a PC to access the SD card and do any major file operations from the PC, bar the system files. Although with the SMB plugin full access to Windows network shared folders is also possible.

Would the reviewer please reconsider this App of the Week - because IMHO Ghost Commander should be the recommended app.

2. Andrew A

Ah yes, but...

... If you are short on screen space, does the UI menu let you adjust several key settings including the height of the panel tabs at the top of the screen? This question hasn't been answered enough times in this article!

3. cs94njw
    Unhappy

I wish....

my Desire had enough memory left, to install enough applications to justify this app :(

1. Simon_E
      Boffin

If it's running 2.2 (as it should be)...

[Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > $APPLICATION > Move to SD card] should help.

Nice to see a proper file manager interface. I'll have to give it a go.

2. James Whale
      Happy

Gingerbread?

As I understand it, the official HTC Gingerbread ROM just released on their developer site strips out some of the stock HTC apps, one or two others such as Facebook, and removes all operator bloatware and customisations. Although this was only done to make Gingerbread install-able on the Desire in the first place, it might, counter-intuitively, leave you with a little more space?

I'm assuming you already use App2SD, of course. :-)

4. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit
    Thumb Up

apk download

Dear Reg,

Any chance where an app is available for direct .apk download from the author you could add that link as well as the Chocolate Factory link?

http://www.medieval.it/dualfm-android/menu-id-129.html

Thanks

5. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Ever heard of Norton Commander?

"What separates it from the rest of the file manager herd is its rather cunning dual-screen layout."

File manager cannot be called file manager if it hasn't got two panels. Therefore, it follows that 99% computing devices in the world are sold (and then operated by lusers) without any file managers at all...

6. Jenks
    FAIL

Battery Killer

Installed this on my Galaxy S2, and it sucks the battery dry. Went from getting approximately 2 days battery life to 18 hours. Removed it and battery life back to normal.

Avoid if your an S2 user.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Ghisler is readying Total Commander for Android

At the time of writing this it is still in Beta 10, but SMB works a treat (something where other Android file managers regularly crap themselves), FTP works, VPN works - and of course you have the dual screen layout. Ghisler even managed to port a lot of stuff that the Total Commander under Windows is famous for to Android, like bookmarks for directories, jump to root and much more.

So, there is basically no need to switch file managers anymore between your Windows machine and your smartphone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like