back to article Network quality of service: making the switch

By cloud computing standards, the networks I oversee are small. The largest network under my care has 250 physical servers; my 9-5 has less than 50. Most networks I oversee have fewer than five servers and all of these networks have far fewer switches than systems. Until very recently, local area network bandwidth has simply …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many jobs?

"The largest network under my care has 250 physical servers; my 9-5 has less than 50. Most networks I oversee have fewer than five servers and all of these networks have far fewer switches than systems."

Blimey Trevor, how many different sysadmin jobs do you have and how do you fit them all in??

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
      Happy

How many jobs?

Heh. I don't sleep much. IT in my city is interestingly competitive. There are squillions of local admins (myself included) bearing only credentials from the local polytechnic. With such a glut of identical credentials, wages are abysmal and most of the good ones have been driven away to other cities.

To contrast, anyone and everyone around here will hire a fresh-off-the-line BSc comp sci to be a sysadmin around here, but your resume goes in the bin without one. Experience means nothing to most companies; all they care about is that you have a (any!) degree.

Inevitably, the guy with the degree in programming (which is all that CompSci from the local university amounts to,) is useless at being a sysadmin. They contract someone like me to fix the mess, but simply replace the permie with someone who has identical credentials. Rinse and repeat.

So while I may only be officially chief cook and Ethernet washer on about 6 networks, I play Mr. Fixit for a dozen more on a regular basis. At least until something better comes along.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Cliche central

"bottom-barrel"

"networks for grown-ups"

"My personal dive deeper into networking"

"Being the first kid on the block with the highest number of the fastest ports matters"

"top notch management "

Love the over-use of metaphors :D!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like