Feeds

back to article Skype/Facebook integration spawns hijack risk

A bug involving the method Skype uses to integrate with Facebook creates a possible account-hijack risk, security watchers warn. The latest update to Skype – version 5.5 – released last week, contains closer integration with the social network, allowing surfers to track Facebook status updates and post wall messages from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Stop

DO NOT WANT

There are people I want to actually talk to over Skype and there are other people whose kitten pictures I want to see. There is practically no overlap between these groups of people.

I'm sorry, *Skype* is working on a fix?

How about Facebook reduces developer headaches by preventing its API from serving up malicious code?

Flame

Not for Mac

This is all Skype for Windows. The latest Mac version (v5.2) is no longer usable following a botched redesign, and has never even had a sniff at Facebook integration. I used to care, but I don't use Skype any more.

Bronze badge
WTF?

WTF

WTF

Why would a Skype client even interpret JS in the first place? Are they actually *trying* to design it as insecurely as possible?

Holmes

Microsoft Skype

The title says it all. They will succeed, too.

Facepalm

Not part of MS, yet.

"Microsoft-owned VoIP outfit fixed with a server-side update last week"

As I understand they aren't owned by MS yet. I though that October is when they expected the deal to be complete.

FAIL

Yay for Hippos!

I'll stick with Skype version 4 until they kill it. When they kill it, I'll leave completely.

Likewise, Skype 1 on Android vs 2 on Android.

http://filehippo.com/download_skype/ has plenty of old versions you can fetch.

It didn't need Microsoft ........

to kill Skype. There's been a death-wish there for a long time.

It's bad enough having one's Skype account hacked into again and again and money removed from Skypeout -- but the total inability to the system to allow access to a sane human to restore one's identity just beggars description.

It's a pity, because it was a rather useful instant messaging system for worldwide contacts. Especially for communicating with busy people who can answer as and when convenient.

This topic is closed for new posts.