Feeds

back to article BSkyB hands out £1bn, board backs James Murdoch

BSkyB, which is 39 per cent-owned by Rupert Murdoch's media empire News Corp, coughed up £1bn to investors today and threw its full support behind its embattled chairman James Murdoch. The company reported a 16 per cent rise in full-year revenue this morning at £6.45bn, compared with £5.7bn at the end of June 2010. Operating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by its author

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Average revenue per user ...

... will tumble if there are further benefit cuts.

Thumb Down

sky broadband - your thoughts?

cos when i used it last, it was capped at 2Mbit/sec and didn't even get near that.......i suppose jo public still sees the package as a 'bargain'......

Joe Public

Joe Public will do what Sky tells it to do.

Thumb Up

how far from the exchage are you though?

I've been on sky broadband for the last 4 years, originally I got about 3meg, but this was due to the distance from the exchange. Now having moved house I get around 7meg which again is dictated by the exchange distance. The broadband was switched on the day I moved in as well.

Overall very happy with it, no traffic shaping or limits either unlike a lot of the other players.

Happy

Seems excesive...

... to move house just to get better broadband speed.

Gold badge
Mushroom

Let me guess how that went.

"All those in favour of Mr Murdoch staying in charge? Great, that's unanimous then. You, you and you however were a bit on the slow side in raising your hands. Door's thattaway and we'll get security to toss your belongings onto the street..."

Bronze badge
Coat

erm

Can't see it like that without a cash incentive try:

"All those in favour of Mr Murdoch staying in charge

All those in favour of Mr Murdoch staying in charge and getting a wedge of cash

*Everyone agrees and congratulates themselves*"

How much?

They average £539 a year from their subscribers. £45 per month. Wow.

Re: How much?

Jeez. That's 3 decentish nights down the pub, which I'd much rather do.

Telly's the enemy, Sky TV doubly so.

Pint

I'd love to go to the pub

but with youngs kids life tends to lead towards the telly rather than the pub.

Devil

Cancelled and switched to Freeview.

'Tis no sin to cheat the devil.

- Daniel Defoe

Pint

@PsychicMonkey

I study after work so telly's constantly threatening to distract me. The pub's much, much better but less of a temptation as it's a 10 minute walk to a decent one. BTW are we related? ;o)

How sad

Indeed, my father was debating the cost of getting one of those new fandangled flat television sets, when I pointed out he spends the £600 the TV would cost YEARLY on watching Murdoch's drivel.

I mean, they don't even know who Louise Boat is :D

Fancy paying £600pa and then watching adverts as well. He may be a cunt, but he's certainly a businessman. (Obviously the 2 aren't mutually exclusive) Maybe I'll spend the £600pa on shares.

And since they're doing so well

Perhaps they'd like to start paying some tax on their income?

Gold badge
Joke

@Mike Richards

"Perhaps they'd like to start paying some tax on their income?"

Oh now come on old boy that's a bit harsh.

Paying taxes as *well*.

Besides, Junior's probably started putting a bit aside in case of any "unexpected" legal bills due to practices that *might* come to light (but which he was *wholly* unaware of) while running his part time job at News International.

The important question....

If they've bought back shares, doesn't this change the percentage ownership? I mean, Newswhatever owns 39% of all shares, but if BSkyB owns shares in itself, then they don't have 100% of shares on the public stock market, and sure Murdoch senior effectively owns more than 40% now...?

This topic is closed for new posts.