back to article Mobile coverage comes to embattled Misurata

The chaps behind rough telephone network Free Libyana are now up and running in recently-retaken Misurata, bringing much-needed mobile connectivity to Libya's third-largest city. The engineers arrived by fishing boat, having endured a 30-hour ride from Malta. Ousama Abushagur was again behind the operation, though this time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Thumbs up to Ousama Abushagur

great work!

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Thumb Up

Not every hero carries a rifle

Damn fine work.

Anonymous Coward

Correction.....

Actually, Malta lies (thank God) more like 180 miles north of the Libyan coast, rather than the disturbingly close 30 miles which you mention (I think you meant a 30 HOUR boat distance)

Misurata?

BBC version, and all papers I've seen, is "Misrata". Of course this is an Anglicised transcription of a word from another language, but the rest of the media seem pretty consistent about it. Do El Reg have someone who knows more about this, then?

titles are for plebs.

I've seen Misurata in several papaers including the Telegraphy.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Ru
Headmaster

Arabic Transliterations

don't really seem to be standardised. But 'Misurata' gives a better impression of the pronounciation, as anglophones would seem to be likely to pronounce 'Misrata' as 'miz-rata' rather than 'mizur-ata'. Your local accent might not have that particular distinction, of course.

Trollface

Winston Churchill

famously insisted on the British 'Angora', rather than the 'official' Ankara.

Lots of other Anglicized names: 'Calcutta', 'Bombay', 'Vienna', and so on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums