Feeds

back to article VMware crushes Q2 despite looming vSphere 5.0

Server virtualization juggernaut VMware smashed through the upper range of its guidance in its second quarter and just kept on going, with sales of $921.2m, which were up 36.7 per cent. That was considerably more impressive than the $860m to $880m that VMware had been expecting. But even more impressive was net income growth, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gimp

We'll see . . .

As a long-time VMware customer, I'm now looking for ways to reduce my VMware licensing commitment and migrate to a vendor who has not actively tried to fuck me with an abusive new licensing scheme. I suspect a lot of other companies are taking a similar look at their options. Maybe if a goodly chunk of those billions of dollars start swinging towards Microsoft, Citrix, and Red Hat, VMware, will realize that pissing off your customer base is not the path to maintaining profitability.

Of course, it's also possible that most of the vSphere client base are a bunch of mindless sheep who will just pay up regardless of cost, but I'm going to hope that's not the case.

<>sheep

I suspect that VMware customers tend to be the most pro-change IT implementers.

The less adventurous sheep are still running on physical hardware. The most adventurous VMware customers are also likely to be the ones with the greatest no of VMs on a host, and hence most likely to be in financial pain as a result of the licensing change.

If you've already done a large scale P->V migration, the idea of a new V->V migration isn't that scary at all, and you've probably already got the knowledge in place to migrate to a new hypervisor. Yes, you've got to learn and develop procedures for the new hypervisor, but that may well be less painful than paying the new licensing costs.

Bronze badge

vsphere 4.1 pricing good for a while

I contacted my vmware rep and they believed existing vsphere 4.1 prices will be good at least until end of year they didn't have visibility beyond that..

Since the quarter most likely ended at the end of June? unlikely many customers knew about the vsphere 5 pricing in time to be able to order stuff early.

This topic is closed for new posts.