back to article Leica X1 APS-C compact camera

The X1 is Leica’s first expert digital compact that, along with some top quality optics, lives up to its billing by offering easy access to manual controls akin to its bigger and pricier brother, the M9. It has no rangefinder focusing to match the M9 either, instead the X1 relies on an LCD screen and an optional clip on optical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zog The Undeniable
    Meh

I am a Leicaman, but

this doesn't work for me. It seems to be the spiritual successor to the Minilux, a brilliant 35mm compact that was let down by reliability issues (you can still buy new boxed ones for a fraction of the original price because everyone's scared of the "E02 error" which costs as much to fix as another Minilux).

The main problems are:

1. The price. if you want digital, that's not far off a Nikon D700 with a 35mm lens (Nikon lenses being cheap as chips compared to Leica, and not significantly worse in quality). The D700 is, of course, full-frame which makes it a zillion times better for creative photography. You can blur the background properly and the huge photosites will give clean images at pretty high ISO.

2. The APS-C sensor. Good bokeh isn't going to be seen very often with a 24mm f/2.8 lens. With a FF sensor and a 35mm lens you can use bokeh a bit for creative effect, but even then you really need f/2 to reliably blur the background, unless you're very close to the subject and giving them a big nose as a result. Obviously APS-C is going to be better at high ISO than a little digicam sensor but not as good as a FF sensor.

A secondhand M6 (actually, I'd have an M2 at half the price) and a new Zeiss 35mm lens seem like considerably better value for £1500. OK, you have to load ithe M6 with this stuff called film, but if you want to buy into the Leica myth and lore, you may as well go the whole hog.

2. Rovindi
    Thumb Up

Lynton and Lynmouth

The black and white of the funnicular - was that Lynton in Devon? Bloody nice shot, I have to say. Holidayed there as a nipper. Good memories.

Cheers for that

3. Steven Jones

Badge envy...

If you go to DPReview and do a side-by-side comparison of the Fujifilm X100 with the Leica X1 (which you can do from the former's test), it's difficult to support the conclusion that the "easily delivers the best image quality in its category". At high ISO the X100 is surely a bit better and both cameras are rated highly for the lens quality (and the Fujifilm is a full stop faster).

Of course the X100 is physically a bit larger, but then it has a built-in viewfinder and something of a handgrip (both cost-extras on the Leica). With both cameras there appear to be quirks, and neither appear to be up with the best on AF, speed of use. Also both are expensive albeit the Leica hugely so.

Of course there will always be sold by the badge on a camera, and I suspect that is far and the way the most important issue when it comes to premium-priced products like the Leica. Until I see some direct side-by-side objective evidence under comparable conditions I'm inclined to think the Leica does not easily deliver the best images - if anything it's subtly the other way.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Nice camera, but..

it still looks designed to appeal to the shrill, gullible twats who buy anything with an expensive badge on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Sadly your more likely right than not

I know it's Leica and they have a brand name to cash in on, but 1,500 for APCS camera?! Like frigging Hasselblad, £25k for a body and will it take better photos than a Nikon D3 or a Canon 1D? Well maybe but if you can't compose your shots, then no, you just get a better quality mess of a picture.

Sadly I can imagine most of these cameras will end up in some posh city camera shops being sold to people with way more money than sense and no idea how to compose a shot to save their lives.

5. Robert Hill
    Thumb Up

Great...

Another great review by Catherine. I'm starting to like her reviews better than DPReview's...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1

a pity she did not do the Fuji X100 review.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Dave Bell

Awkward to sell

I've had experience of Leica cameras for a long time, and they do justify their reputation for quality and durability. Like a Rolls Royce car, there's more to it than the brand.

But Leica don't have such a good record with "compact" cameras. They have been far more about the brand.

8. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@Awkward to sell

>more to it than brand

Except the thing that makes the pictures (the image and digic) comes from someone else.

It's like a buying a Rolls Royce that has a BMW engine and suspension (which of course it has) - you have to ask what you are getting that you don't get from a BMW?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Er, just so you know....

In Australia, your last photo on page 3 counts as 'child-pr0n'.

Seriously. You can get arrested for viewing that image in Australia.

This topic is closed for new posts.