back to article Lying Facebook app offers Google+ invites

Facebook scammers have latched onto the buzz around Google+, as the theme for a new scam that has already claimed thousands of fans victims. A fake app, called "Google Plus Direct Access", prompts users to visit a page on the social networking site they need to "like" in order to progress: a process that hands over personal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Statistics, eh?

"25 per cent of users had seen some form of malicious content shared by one of their friends at one time or another."

Ergo 74% of users don't know what malicious content is, and think 'OMG, watch this teen getting caught naked on her cam by her mom' is perfectly normal traffic.

1. Neonin
      Thumb Up

Took the words out of my mouth

Couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone who hasn't seen malicious content on Facebook either has no friends or doesn't know that it was malicious content.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

you can have them back now

I fall into the first category, but simply don't care.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'trendjacking' the latest big news in order to exploit people's natural curiosity.......

Don't you just hate nosey people. Serves them right!

3. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

"You should also exercise great caution...

"...about what third-party apps you allow to access your Facebook records, especially when they are demanding the ability to post to your wall and grab personal information such as your date of birth and current location"

I think what they mean is that the default on Facebook shouldn't be that any app can demand you hand over all this access unless you specifically deny such access.

But since when did Facebook really give a damn...?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Sorry, what?

"Lying Facebook app offers Google+ invites"

No. Just no. The word in invitations. "Invites" is a verb, you should be looking for a noun. I don't give a crap, this popular but entirely incorrect use of the word "invites" grates against my last nerve like John Lydon in a butter advert. Its just plain wrong.

1. Lamont Cranston

The time saved by replacing "invitation" with "invite"

is incalc... immesura... lots.

2. Chris 3
      Headmaster

When you said, "plain wrong"...

... you clearly meant to say "epic fail" come on daddio, get with the lingo.

5. PaulR79
    Joke

Shocking, Facebook app used for malicious purposes?!

I am just so surprised at this news because they have such an awesome track record of keeping malicious apps off their site!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't Google do this

For real, or would that result in a Facebook and Google not being best friends.

I bet Google keep this in beta for 3 years, and then eventually can it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like