back to article NBN Co completes 4G spectrum spend

NBN Co has secured spots of regional spectrum in Western Australia, the Northern Territory, South Australia, outback Queensland and far west New South Wales for AU$1.3m. The spectrum will bolster its high-speed wireless broadband services rollout. NBN Co secured it at the Australian Communications and Media Authority spectrum …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

What a pain

If it is found that handsets interfere with TV signals. Given the remoteness of the properties that can't be fibre connected, I assume that any interference is going to be from within the same premises. If that is so, I would guess that a number of ways exist to reduce or eradicate the interference.

First would be a filter on the back of the tv, back in my Ham days I found that to be very effective in most cases.

Second, I assume that the handsets in question are telephones, now if the telephone is a fixed phone as distinct from a mobile phone. A yagi antenna pointed at the TX/RX tower should keep most of the signal away from the TV antenna which is probably a dish pointing upwards.

If the telephone's of of a mobile configuration, then the only answer in the event of interference problems is to keep the calls short or turn the tv off. Or move away from the tv or tv antenna, inverse square law and all that guff.

Anonymous Coward

2.3GHz !=700MHz

The industry fears the article mentions in relation to LTE interfering with regional TV reception is to do with the proximity of the 700MHz band to the last channel slot in band V of the UHF band. This has nothing to do with the spectrum that NBNCo has licensed for their wireless services, which are in the 2.3GHz and 3.4GHz bands.

Yes they are using LTE, but then again Telstra is rolling it out right now only it's in the 1.8GHz band. My point is that the frequency band has nothing to do with the technology that will run on that frequency. Vivid wireless has a bunch of 2.3 and 3.4GHz spectrum, and they're running both WiMAX and their old proprietary pre-WiMAX protocol over it, not LTE like NBNCo will be running.

In any case, the article mentions that the concern is over handsets. The NBN will be using fixed wireless, not mobile handsets. The handsets they refer to are the 700MHz LTE handset that Telstra, Optus and Vodafone will likely use once the digital TV transition is complete. By this happens at the end of 2013, NBNCo should already have customers on their wireless network, and the telcos will probably still be arguing with the broadcasters about interference.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums