back to article UK court dishes out 13 years' porridge to e-fraudsters

Three fraudsters have been jailed for a combined total of 13 years and six months over their involvement in a sophisticated phishing fraud against UK and international banks. Ayodeji Kareem, 38, Vincent Alonge, 31, and Babatunde Fafore, 41, were all jailed at a hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday. All three defendants, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Flame

One thing I really can't stand

is people who add up the sentences of all the accomplices to come up with a completely useless and meaningless number, in this case 13.

Two of them were sentenced for 5 1/2 years, and one was sentenced for 2 years, which means they will spend about half that time behind bars, or these days, probably about 1/3 of the time behind bars and 1/6 of the time back home with an electronic tag.

7
1
Facepalm

Sentenced

The article did state 'sentenced' It didn't say 'will spend 13 years behind bars'

They <b>were</b> sentenced to 13 years in total, as you say they won't be inside for 13 though. Article is accurate what's the problem exactly.

0
1
Silver badge
Flame

I am aware of that

Yes, I am aware of that. However, nobody was sentenced for 13 years. The longest sentence was 5 years 7 months. Yes, if you add 5 years 7 months + 5 years 5 months + 2 years, you get 13 years, but it is a completely meaningless figure.

3
0

Not truthful at all

"They <b>were</b> sentenced to 13 years in total, as you say they won't be inside for 13 though. Article is accurate what's the problem exactly."

No they weren't. "They" were sentenced for "5 years, 7 months" in the harshest case. 13 years is more than twice that. Anything else is misleading. If you want a more IT oriented example, it would be like grabbing a bunch of fresh out of school IT grads who each did 3 months of interning over every summer and claiming that your firm has "a combined total of over 20 years of IT experience." Perhaps technically accurate, but only in the most misleading way possible.

-d

1
0
Linux

How do I protect my PC?

"It’s also a good idea not to use your computer in administrator mode. It’s better to make a user account and log in with that for day-to-day use. In Microsoft Windows Vista, keep User Account Control switched on"

http://www.getsafeonline.org/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1490

"Protect your Linux computer .. Linux needs proper installation and configuration to be fully secure .. This article outlines a very high-level security checklist for Linux users"

http://www.getsafeonline.org/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1166

0
0
WTF?

but where's the punishment?

divided by three, even the 500K represents better than 5 years salary to most people, I bet it's sitting in an African bank as none of them are UK born, all migrants.

3
0
WTF?

We are weak

Porridge? This is a British jail you are talking about. Three full meals (nutritionally balanced) a day, free gym, education opportunities, books, TV, computer games in their ensuite room.

0
0
Facepalm

You'd think...

with all that money they'd have done a better job of covering their tracks!

0
0

Convictions of e-fraudsters

I am afraid that e-crime is the most unpunished crime in the UK today. The police simply does not have the resources.

In their own words (in a Cyber conference in Glasgow last year) Scottish police manpower involved in high tech crime, uses 80% of their resources for child pornography and child grooming online. Everything else gets the rest of the 20%. And with the cuts and dismantling of the Forensic Science Service, closing down of labs and shrinking teams, this will only get worst.

Vassilis Manoussos,

Digital Forensics Consultant, Strathclyde Forensics

www.StrathclydeForensics.co.uk

0
0
This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums