The EMC succession is out in the open now, with Tucci talking to the Wall Street business media and financial analysts opining about the merits of Pat "Product" Gelsinger or David "Greenback" Goulden. The timescale is that Joe Tucci withdraws from the CEO-ship and goes on to become executive chairman or chairman of the board in …
It's all about the product...
We saw what happened to the US auto industry when the bean counters took over. It no longer was about the product. It was about saving money by cutting out little details here and there, consolidating and streamlining so much that there no longer was any differentiation. The products became mediocre but the balance sheet looked good for a while. Then people stopped buying the cars and bought them from “the other guy” because they had more of the features they wanted, looked better, etc. The same thing can happen in technology. Nothing against Goulden personally, I've heard great things about him as a financial guru. But you can't have a bean counter running a technology company where it's all about the product. You've got to take risks and innovate.
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- AMD demos 'Berlin' Opteron, world's first heterogeneous system architecture server chip
- Leaked pics show EMBIGGENED iPhone 6 screen
- OK, we get the message, Microsoft: Windows Defender splats 1000s of WinXP, Server 2k3 PCs