The EMC succession is out in the open now, with Tucci talking to the Wall Street business media and financial analysts opining about the merits of Pat "Product" Gelsinger or David "Greenback" Goulden. The timescale is that Joe Tucci withdraws from the CEO-ship and goes on to become executive chairman or chairman of the board in …
It's all about the product...
We saw what happened to the US auto industry when the bean counters took over. It no longer was about the product. It was about saving money by cutting out little details here and there, consolidating and streamlining so much that there no longer was any differentiation. The products became mediocre but the balance sheet looked good for a while. Then people stopped buying the cars and bought them from “the other guy” because they had more of the features they wanted, looked better, etc. The same thing can happen in technology. Nothing against Goulden personally, I've heard great things about him as a financial guru. But you can't have a bean counter running a technology company where it's all about the product. You've got to take risks and innovate.
- Exclusive Security guru Bruce Schneier to leave employer BT
- Product roundup Station to station: Ten DAB-Bluetooth combo radios
- Is Google prepping an ARMY of WALKING ROBOTS?
- Analysis That Google ARM love-in: They want it for their own s*** and they don't want Bing having it
- Apple CEO Cook breaks YEARS OF SILENCE, finally speaks to El Reg hack