back to article Samsung BD-D8900 Blu-ray player and DVR combo

On the face of it, Samsung's BD-D8900 seems to be the ideal convergence product that will allow you to get rid of the stack of boxes that hide under your TV. Not only does this deck act as a 3D-compatible Blu-ray player, but it also has an integrated twin tuner Freeview HD DVR, along with support for Samsung's Smart Hub internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

No dual record

Wish that deficiency had been mentioned earlier! What a chocolate teapot this thing is?!

1. Hardcastle the ancient

general twattishness

I am loosing patience with manufacturers who build something sensible then strip out the best bits to save 38 cents.

It's just twattishness, and I don't buy things from twats. My last home entertainment purchase was from Humax, who are pretty generally non-twattish about things like this.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How Long?

"it took a minute and 16 seconds from putting the BD-live enabled X-Men Origins in the tray until it showed the Fox logo"

WTF? Is this standard for blu-ray players? Why the hell does it take so long?

1. Bassey

Re: How Long

It's not standard (as the review makes clear) but Blu-Ray players do take a while to load discs. Nobody seems to know why. However, having had a Sony BR player for about 18 months, I can genuinely say it has never bothered me. I don't know how long it takes to load BR discs - I'm not sad enough to time them. DVDs start near-enough instantly. Knowng BR discs take a little while I normally put the disc in first, then turn on the telly, close the curtains, turn down the lights etc and by the time I actually sit down the disc is up and the animated menus are on with the (always too loud) background music.

If you remember that most discs come with about 5 minutes of ads before you get to the damned film anyway (yes YOU Disney!) the few seconds waiting for the disc to load is immaterial.

I do wish I knew why, though.

2. Some Beggar

Re: How Long?

The menu gubbins for BDs is written in Java. Most BD players skimp on processing mips and memory. If you have a complicated splash-screen-menu-doohickey and you have BD-live content then they grind to a halt. It's like loading a whizzy web 2.0 site on a craptastic old PC.

There are some players that are quicker (Oppo and the newer Panasonic allegedly).

3. jabuzz
    Thumb Down

No Freesat - fail

With no Freesat and FreesatHD it is another failure, if for no other reason there are more HD channels on Freesat than there is on Freeview.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Business....

The ugly bastard child.. is an unloved device hence the industry will conclude that no-one wants a BR Player combined with a DVR and from hence forth there will be two boxes under everyones telly..

OK three boxes if you have a surround sound.. so 4 devices in total if you count the screen itself..

When I was a kid growing up we only had one device it was called a telly! why have we fallen for this con of taking bits out of the telly and selling them separately??

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Rubbish!

No Dual Record! WTF

No Internet Whilst Recording WTF?

1 Minute 16 Seconds? WTF Windows boots faster than that !

My dual HD Freeview+ PVR can record on two and watch iplayer! and it was only £199... why would I buy this?

Major Fail 65% is a bit generous.. I'd target 25%.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

model ?

"My dual HD Freeview+ PVR " - model ? same features ? are you happy with it ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

details

Technika Smartbox 8320HD Freeview HD+ (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-9147.aspx)

Possibly more features! iptv iplayer skyplayer etc, internal wifi - smaller HDD and no BR.

Am I happy with it? Well if you asked me 6 months ago No! but now overall yes, they have released a lot of updates to fix a lot of bugs it works much better now. I would not want to upgrade unless it was a significantly improvement... I might upgrade my TV to a freeview HD+ integrated TV.

6. clanger9
    Happy

Seems pricey

I recently picked up an LG HR-600 for only £200.

It seems to do everything this one does (twin tuner Freeview HD recording, Blu-ray, 802-11n WiFi, iPlayer, Youtube, DLNA) though the hard drive is a bit on the small side (250GB).

Pretty happy with it - it isn't quite as slick as a Humax, but everything works as it's supposed to (which seems to be a rarity with these things).

7. Shane Sturrock
    Stop

Avoid Samsung

I had a Samaung BD player and it was buggy and they wouldn't fix their crap firmware. Took it back after 6 months (unfit for purpose) and won't buy from them again.

8. Patrick R
    Headmaster

"Vital statistics" typo

1GB HDD ? Terabyte please.

9. Craig 12

PS3 slim!

For half the price you can get a PS3 slim (price fluctuates, got my 250gb for the bedroom for £196 new), which is a better 'convergence' product. iplayer, lovefilm, blu/dvd (fast loading as well), media playback over the network, web browser etc. Get a play TV kit and it's a dual freeview PVR with an amazing interface for £30 extra. Get a PSP, and you have remote view stuff.

Yes, I sound a bit like a fanboy, but no one has mentioned it yet and it's really a cracking device (and I didn't even mention the G word.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Supermarket Model

Soon to be 75% off...

P.O.S.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like