back to article Virgin and Spotify: A step forward for digital music

Two years ago I wondered if the ISP and music industries were even worth saving – given that they'd contributed so much to consumer unhappiness, a lack of innovation and anything resembling entrepreneurship. Now that Virgin has done a deal with Spotify, it's time to revisit this. The company won praise from Culture Minister Ed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

W

I've used Pandora (in USA) through an app on my blu-ray player a few times, but I just can't get past the idea that listening to music on the TV is a waste of electricity.

1. Citizen Kaned

as said...

many of us have a home cinema. i play all my music streamed via ps3 and NAS box to a denon amp and B&W speaker system. i dont care if the TV is on as i get the nice earth background image you can have on the ps3.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Thumb Up

No TV needed.

I agree with your comment about having the TV on but there's a solution. I have a Logitech Touch. It has it's own, small, LCD display. Probably no significant additional power consumption.

2. Arrrggghh-otron

Spotify - Phone - Bluetooth - HiFi

I've got a bluetooth audio connection on my HiFi for streaming my Spotify playlists from my mobile/laptop when I don't want the TV on...

3. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

"what music services might one day look like in the home"

This makes no sense. Spotify is *exactly* what music services look like *right now*, whether some particularly ISP is in bed with them, or not.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do I want my ISP to provide a music app??

What I want from my ISP is a decent service, helpful customer support, and a good solid unthrottled Internet connection. That's what they should be focusing on doing, not putting their resources into providing music apps. I want my Internet to come _through_ them, not _from_ them.

1. The BigYin

BUt you ISP does not one this

Most live in fear of being a dumb-pipe, they need to up-sell the add-on services as that is where the margins are. If you have a decent line (e.g. 20mb+) then you have no need of TV or phone subscriptions - do it all over IP.

And that is exactly what the gutter ISPs fear.

5. The BigYin

Yawn

So five years ago. Just finish the Linux client, kthxgby!

6. Elmer Phud
    Alert

Uncle Ed

Maybe, instead of jumping at the wordf Ed would like you to hear think about what BT and Talk Talk were trying to do.

Vaisey would prefer people to forget the governments idea to have the ISPs become internet police. Anything the government decide is iffy - depending on thier whim of the day - and your ISP is bound by law to screw you over. And before you complain to your MP it's the ISP who is doing it not the government - excuse sorted, blame passed elsewhere, business as bloody usual.

7. Lionel Baden
    FAIL

Fuck spotify

Since they screwed the free users.

they were very unreasonable with their restrictions. 5 times playing For EVER !!! could of restricted it to a monthly amount. It is very tempting just to open up multiple accounts with massive playslists and leave them playing for months.

No interest now, was happy to listen to ads etc etc they could of even added more.

8. Martin-R
    Thumb Up

Well done VM (for twice)

What with this, and the rebate on the Tivo box for early adopters, I'm really starting to wonder what's going on at VM - they're in danger of becoming positively customer friendly!

But what's still missing is the ability to play back content recorded on the tivo elsewhere in the house. On one of the two V+ boxes in the house would be a good start, but on any device in the house (PC, mac, iPad, Android phone...) would be even better!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like