back to article Internet fraud laundryman gets two years in cooler

An internet fraudster was sentenced to two years prison yesterday for his part in a gang which pocketed hundreds of thousands of pounds from various web-based scams. Michael Ugboaja, 48, of Beckton, was sentenced for his part in laundering £470,000. The gang targeted a Canadian doctor on a dating site and persuaded her to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Boris Winkle
    Pint

'Cash never recovered'

Pint then ..

2. Tom Bell

Would you hand £470,000 to someone?

I'm guessing we have only the word of this convicted liar and con-man that handed this money on to someone else ?

I wonder if in two years he will be a rich con-man - it's almost worth spending two years in chink for that

1. Citizen Kaned

yes, yes it is.

average UK wage ~25k?

2 years jail sentence = 12 months inside unless you are naughty.

i would definitely do 12 months in a box if i knew i had ~£500k+ sat waiting for me somewhere

1. ratfox
        Thumb Down

Not enough for me

You have to take into account the fact you are not going to find a proper job for the rest of your life... But maybe I am just too greedy.

3. Mondo the Magnificent
    Happy

There's one born every minute...

A sucker for a quick buck that is..

You'd think with the main stream press coverage on these scams that intelligent people like doctors and bean counters would know better

Apparently not, they reap what they sew!

Keep them coming El Reg, admittedly these reports do put a smile on my face while making me wonder how the victims could be so very gullible...

Until then, I await the next email from the lads in Lagos telling me I've come into a large sum of cash!

1. Sam Liddicott

rip

It's either: "rip what they sew" or "reap what they sow"

you choose

4. Dark Ian
    Thumb Up

Natural Selection reincarnate

Let the greedy thick people starve.

5. Simon 6
    Holmes

Make the time fit the crime...

Refusing to hand back the cash: 10 years in prison

Handing back the cash: 1 year in prison

I know the people suckered really are idiots but as others have said; a year in jail for 480k is a fantastic reward and shows once again how crime pays!

6. JelenaS

Well, now there is an app for that

In addition to the article, Apple just released an iPhone app a few days ago, called Scam Detector, which has a lot of internet scams. The app exposes in detail over 350 of the most notorious scams in the world. It is worth checking it out, if you have an iPhone. It’s kinda cool, actually. There is their info: http://www.scam-detector.com

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

"Handed over suitcase with £470,000 to man in car park...."

<Leaves office>

<Stands in car park>

<Waits hopefully>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I saw someone hand over 470K in a car park, I'd assume that

a journalist wanted to know something really important.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like