back to article Radio society responds to radio selloff

The RSGB reckons that 500MHz of spectrum, which the Ministry of Fun wants to see sold off by 2020, isn't empty, and hasn't much application anyway. In an open response to the Ministry's proposals, which explain how it plans to find huge swaths of spectrum with which to meet the insatiable demand for more bandwidth, the Radio …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Pirate

LOOK!

I'm not, and have never been, bearded - OK?

Silver badge

Conversely

I'm bearded but have never used a HAM radio

Anonymous Coward

Beards

Me neither :)

Thumb Up

#Fred

Don't worry it will happen when you get past puberty!!

Bronze badge
Coat

While I.....

....am bearded, and use radios regularly, they're just of the amateur variety and mostly definitely are not made of any pig-related product.

Mine's the one with a multi-band vertical in the pocket.....

Coat

and I...

... once had half a beard for a week (left side; shaved right side off for a drunken bet), do like ham sandwiches (with a little mustard) and listening to Radio 4, both strictly on a non professional basis although I'm open to offers. I don't understand what Captain Scarlet's ex employers have to do with any of this...

Mines the one with the flashing epaulettes

Paris Hilton

OMFG

RSGB

Trollface

Question...

Is the RSGB anything like LGBT?

Devil

Ham

No beard here either. Just a touch of stubble.

I am however a relatively new and young Amateur Radio enthusiast.

Like a lot of my fellow young and old Amateur Radio users I work in IT and love to see how things work, write my own software and generally hack around. With radios I like to see how things work, build my own equipment and hack around.

I am a little surprised by the amount of amateur bashing that does occur on here as there is very little difference between computer enthusiasts and radio ones. We all love new technology, gadgets... they just happen to be different ones.

Lets have a little love for the Hams even if we want to ban your power line networking devices ;-)

Trollface

no beard here either, just a moustache ;-)

In answer to the question of ham-bashing, I guess the likes of Mr Ray either can't see the enjoyment of the hobby, or failed the RAE and it's successors *veg*

As to the RSGB. Hmm. I'm in two minds on the organisation. Most of the time, it seems to be somewhat self-serving, judging by what I read around the interwebs. Then, they come out with some Good Stuff (tm), such as the Licence For Life (in conjunction with a certain ministry of course), and then this response to the spectrum rip-up that the MoF is suggesting.

Why can't they just be like marmite? (you either like 'em or hate 'em), and not waver between the two extremes?!

Oh, and yes, I'm licenced too, for the last 26 years, even!

Silver badge

Which ministry is MiniFun?

I'm familiar with most of El Reg's nicknames, but MiniFun is a new one to me.

Can I refer the author of this article...

...to this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatite

Radio's moved on

You don't need exclusive use of frequency bands any more***. The idea's old school and it only persists because people think its some kind of valuable real estate that can be traded back and forth to make windfall profits.

(***Except for older radio systems -- AM/FM broadcasting, H/F radio like amateurs use that propagate globally. I'm thinking more about UHF and beyond -- line of sight stuff.)

Tosh...

So you can imagine a 5W TETRA handset working ok on the same frequency as a 10kW digital TV Tx

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums