back to article Lego lover builds big Barad-dûr replica

Some folk have got too much time on their hands. Then again, sometimes those people deserve to be applauded for their efforts. Like this guy, a dedicated Lego fanatic who whiled away the final months of 2010 building this incredibly detailed Barad-dûr replica out of roughly 50,000 Lego blocks. Lego Barad-dûr by Kevin J Walter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4

He had an eye for the tower since he first saw Lord of the Rings.

And the tower had an eye for him.

1. LaeMing
      Go

I see...

I see yooooooo. ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h what you did there!

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

Impressive

Definitely in the HMS Hood league but not sure it quite tops that as there aren't any MInifigs.

The rockwork is very good.

3. Jim Carter

Dismantle it?

It should be in a museum!

4. Atonnis
    Meh

Oh...

Well, it's pretty cool, but the way it was being talked-about I expected to see pictures of a tower a good 15-ft high or more...

1. Marvin the Martian
      Meh

And furthermore

I expected a quote from his wife or girlfriend.

No? Ah, I see...

5. iGoto
    Happy

V.Impressive

Having looked at mine (sorry my son's) Lego bricks I have no idea how he's managed to get those curved walls. Everything I (sorry my son) builds is full of right angles..??

As a side note I bought myself (sorry my son) a Lego Mindstorms kit a few years ago. If you haven't discovered this yet then you (sorry your kids), will love it.

1. Dan 10

I have almost that problem...

I was tempted to buy a mindstorms kit but don't have son to blame it on!

1. Heironymous Coward
        Go

no problem

Buy if now for your future son / daughter. Of course, it would be a shame if something went wrong and it was not working when s/he is finally old enough to use it, so you will have to occasionally test it....

2. Mystic Megabyte

@iGoto

"As a side note I bought myself (sorry my son) a Lego Mindstorms kit a few years ago. If you haven't discovered this yet then you (sorry your kids), will love it."

Let me guess, you bought your wife a bowling ball :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_the_Fast_Lane

1. iGoto

@Mystic Megabyte

"Let me guess, you bought your wife a bowling ball :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_the_Fast_Lane "

No, she got the '00' gauge Hornby train set.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Speaking of Mindstorms

The least he could do would be to make the eye actually follow you around the room...

6. Mister_C
    Coat

Playmobil reconstruction

Or it didn't happen.

Allegedly

7. Tom 38
    Happy

Curved walls

Use lots and lots of 1x2 bricks:

http://leonardoslegos.blogspot.com/2010/08/lego-technique-curved-walls.html

1. DZ-Jay

Well I'll be...

Lego building distilled to a discipline of engineering. I'm very impressed.

-dZ.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Lego versus Playmobil

I'd always assumed that future IT workers could not grok Lego and that's why they ended up with the simpler Playmobil, leaving Lego to the software-engineers-to-be.

It also explains The Register's fascination with the inferior stuff and their stuffy comments about expensive Lego bricks.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very impressive...

...but unless there are some new pieces in lego since I was a kid, I think there has been gratuitous use of glue in several places on that model.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Very impressive...

You'll be amazed at how Lego has expanded the range and type of bricks since, say, the early 1980s.

There's a whole heap of angle-connection bits in my nipper's kits that I never had in my day.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Apparently...

He lost out on an award at Brickworld 2011 (you know, THE Brickworld!!), because someone else had a model with the name Black Tower on the ballot sheet, and they were selected instead of Barad-dûr.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

title?

<pedantry>Replica?

I'd like to go visit the original it's based on.</pedantry>

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: title?

Go and look in Weta's warehouse, or New Line's lobby...

This topic is closed for new posts.