back to article Boffin hacks Wi-Fi to double mobile gadget battery life

Want to significantly boost your smartphone's battery life? US Duke University researcher Justin Manweiler reckons he's worked out how. Manweiler's work centres on Wi-Fi, specifically when the phone - or tablet or laptop, for that matter - is operating within range of more than one wireless access point. If access points are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zzzzzz

I went into sleep mode about halfway through the explanation.

2. Turtle_Fan
    FAIL

Anti-climax

There's me going into the article thinking of some quirky code to be inserted into the WiFi function to make my phone last 3 times as long and all I got was a three page article summarised into "less WiFi = more battery".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice!

Awesome idea. And kudos for releasing it in an academic paper, rather than immediately attempting to patent it.

4. Richard Jukes

I...

I just dont care. Honestly.

5. heyrick Silver badge

Probably a dumb question...

...but can't the phone periodically check your connected AP and /ignore/ all the others?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

It's something to do ...

... with having to open the box to see what's in the box, or the cat will die.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What does it take to impress people these days ?

A neat elegant efficient idea. Openly shared .. I thought that sort of thing had died out.

And yet people respond with "meh" ?

7. mikeyboosh
    Trollface

zzzz

Anyone fancy doing a tl;dr?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

You probably should go back to commercial TV.

Their content is undoubtedly more suited to your attention span.

8. Paul Douglas
    Holmes

Logical but really it's nothing new

Logical but, I'm afraid the fundamental principle has been around GSM handsets for ten years plus. Wake the device up less == less power consumption. I like hayrick's idea, needs further investigation. Could be even be optional thing "When authorised on one hotspot ignore others to increase battery life", check.

9. Paolo 1
    Boffin

So how long is the sleep then?

What I didn't get from the article is how long does my WiFi radio sleep between calls on average vs this new method?

Are we talking millisecond-level intervals of swithcing power to the rado on and off? Just curious...

10. David Austin
    Pint

Title

Someone get this very clever bloke a pint. Sounds like this idea could be a runner...

11. Paul Taylor 1

Nothing new...

Old tech.. My company has been doing this with our WiFi equipment and Clients for the last 9 years.

In fact our WiFi clients run in a single lithium cell battery for 6-8 months before they need re-charging.

Lo-Q.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like