back to article Nokia 'thinnest smartphone ever' slips out

While Nokia's impetus is clearly with Windows Phones, the company insists Symbian is far from kaput, a sentiment supported by the seeming leak of several fresh Symbian smartphones, with one described as the thinnest of its kind ever. Snaps of another diddy smartphone, the Nokia N5, were upped by Excellular yesterday, showing off …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Pint

Stop, Nokia

Make your mind up! Are you in bed with Microsoft, or do you want to make MeeGo devices, or Symbian devices?

Christ, THIS is why you have a weakened position the marketplace, because you hedged your bets on the combined least popular smartphone platforms (I realise Symbian has a HUGE marketshare, but not in smartphones).

Silver badge

It's product pipelines, plus WP7 can't cover all areas

First, these would have been well into development when the Windows/Nokia deal was done.

Second, WP7 has a pretty high-end minimum hardware profile, and that might be fine for high-end Smartphones, but these devices are going into a much lower section of the market. (One of the things MS get out of their deal with Nokia is the expertise in making cheaper hardware platforms that don't suck)

Symbian is a smartphone platform, and has never been anything other than a smartphone platform. You may be confusing it with Series 40, Nokia's featurephone OS, perhaps?

WTF?

Thinnest? Really?!

At a reported 10mm, it's a definite also-ran. Both the Samsung Infuse 4G, Optimus Black, Samsung Galaxy S II and even the iPhone 4 are around 9mm. And NEC's Medias should weigh in at around 7.5mm.

Strange claim to make then. So, what did I miss?

FAIL

Re: So, what did I miss?

Width and height?

Thinnest....

It's the thinnest Nokia smartphone ever perhaps??

Thinnest....

Perhaps it would have been the thinnest ever smartphone back in the days when these kind of specs would have looked vaguely exciting?

Cheap clock speeds

If those phones are released at the prices reported then they will be some of the cheapest 1Ghz phones going.

So whats the catch??

FAIL

Big catch

Assuming the prices are not the estimated carrier subsidised cost, the big catch is that the software is obsolete before you even buy it. It's a huge surprise that Nokia are releasing another Symbian phone, what's the chance that they'll support this phone for all 10 people who actually go ahead and purchase it?

Nokia getting in bed with Microsoft is the biggest fail of 2011 so far. They've basically given their market share to iOS and Android on a silver plate.

Anonymous Coward

Why is it a huge surprise that these are released?

These phones have been in development for at least a year. Nokia have one Winpho not yet ready for release, and it won't be out for months. What are Nokia supposed to do - just sit on their arses until the Windows stuff comes out in a year or two's time? And totally can their market share?

Product pipeline. Look it up.

These things should sell well - they are cheap and have very good specs for the price. They may not have the cachet of a huge apps stores, and won't necessarily get great upgrade support once the Win stufff comes out - but then, how many average users EVER upgrade their phones?

People are lazy

'Most' average users are lazy, they expect the phone to update itself fixing problems.

They do notice when this doesn't occur and the same annoying software bugs are never fixed.

Still if the price is correct and not carrier discounted they'll sell well.

The problem might occur with confusing the customer base.

Nokia will be pushing a fair few phones onto the market this year, running 3 seperate operating systems, along with current phones on the market currently running their OS.

It's hard enough for people to understand the difference between a HTC running Android and a WP7 one.

Try explaining the difference with a Nokia phone which could run anyone of 4 different Operating systems.

People will just get confused and walk away.

Headmaster

Marketing, meet Journalism

Samsung Galaxy SII comes in at 8.49 mm.

Exam question. Can a regurgitation of some Marketing bollox without any fact checking be regarded as Professional Journalism.

Discuss.

Silver badge

Leaks aren't marketing

The source of the "thinnest" claim is a photograph of a sheet of paper listing the new handsets. That photo is cut off after the word "Thinnest". It's quite possible the full line says "Thinnest Nokia phone" or "Thinnest chance of getting a review from Gizmodo". Who knows? I suspect the former, but the latter is also true.

The SGS 2 may be thinner, but this little phone is not after that market: it's likely to be half the price of the Samsung, for a start, and in that price range, it will be the "thinnest" by a good distance.

Silver badge

You have to wonder about Nokia

They get to the point of releasing smart phones which are almost but not quite competing with other smart phone OSes. But then they shitcan everything and spend a year sending products to die, reporting huge losses and hoping Microsoft will pull their face from the fire.

So....

Will Symbian have a Belle end or can it keep going?

Thumb Up

Superb sub-head

One of a few today.

But the thing is...

.... you still have to use a phone running Symbian. Having happily ditched my last Symbian phone for one running Android, I certainly wouldn't want to go back. I suspect others might think similarly.

Thumb Up

I agree

You couldn't pay me to go back to a Symbian handset.

FAIL

Nokia RIP

The N97 was the last straw for me after many years of Nokia phones: big fail in the build up to release (too many expectations, waiting far too long) and when it finally came was underpowered and with shoddy hardware/build quality (screen fail, lock button fail - it came off, memory fail - not enough so slow and bloated). Once it finally gave up charging altogether ( power connector fail) I decided I wasn't going to spend any money fixing it.

Even after this, I was still *slightly* tempted by the N8 - but only until the whole microsoft thing. Recently jumped ship to Android with the HTC DHD, would never look back. Why anyone would go spend money on a symbian phone from Nokia now is entirely beyond me.

Bellend.

Nothing like Meego, just the same icons.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums